chapter eleven || barbecued shrimp

chapter eleven: BARBECUED SHRIMP

The smell of a charcoal grill from outside and old school textbooks engulfed the room of the third year student, who circled around the nervous volleyball players like a hawk to its prey.

"Since all of you have volleyball practically circulating in your blood," Natarii snarled, slamming an extremely huge book down to the table and a frightening aura around her. "And didn't even bother to study for your damned exams, you are all being tutored by Chikara, Suga and I - plus Yacchan's notes - since you all can't behave when we're not around.

"This will not be no ordinary tutoring session; I will be making sure that you pass your exams with flying colours, even if I have to squash every volleyball I see."

Everybody, including the third years, gulped at her terrifying speech, thinking if she would actually resort to such horrible measures.

"Okaa-san - " Hinata began, shutting his mouth when he realised what he called the girl.

R.I.P Hinata . . . Sugawara thought, pitying him immediately.

Kageyama snickered to himself, the short middle blocker going in a fighting stance. "Oi, you wanna fight?"

SLAM!

The book that had come down forcefully, shook the table and the water in the glasses around them.

"Tobio, Shoyou . . . " she muttered lowly, looking down at him. "I suggest you say no more or else your name will be engraved on a gravestone and not a volleyball trophy!" The boys fell backwards, the thought scaring them completely.

The second years Nishinoya and Tanaka fearing what she would say to them next. Quietly, they drew random things on their notebooks, avoiding her attention.

To fear her was correct.

"As for you, Nishinoya, Tanaka," she hissed, brown eyes stabbing deep into their souls. They jolted upwards like soldiers. "Mathematics apparently is something that you fail constantly. Sleeping in class and doodling in your shockingly empty notebooks since first year. . . "

Tension danced in the room almost breathtakingly, the mood almost at its critical point.

"I wonder how you even made it to middle school?"

That was the finishing blow for everybody, Sugawara almost fainting and the Ennoshita losing the colour in his face rapidly. Tanaka and Nishinoya clutched their t-shirts, trying not to cry. "That was - that was so harsh," the setter blubbered, placing a hand on her shoulder. "Ease it when you give a lecture, Natarii."

Her demeanour changed instantly, rubbing the back of her head in embarrassment. "Gomen, Suga," she laughed, her temporary students falling at the personality switch. "I'm done anyways, but if you don't participate, a living hell awaits you . . ."

"They're not gonna last, are they?" Ennoshita whispered as the lesson began.

The silver-haired boy shook his head.

"Nope!"

• • •

"FRIED ~ SHRIMP ~ !" a voice called out, the scent of food attracting the dynamic duos after the demonic study session. "POWER FOOD FOR ALL!"

"Ah, arigato, Chiharu-san," thanked Ennoshita, as she pretty much shoved the books away with her free hand and set the huge shrimp dish down as well as some plates and chopsticks. "It looks really good. You saved us from the true oni over there."