chapter five || tokyo tempura ramen

chapter five: TOKYO TEMPURA RAMEN

Karasuno High School was as lively as usual, students parading and chatting in their black uniforms, the shouts from a setter and spiker breaking the peace.

"I can't believe you keep missing normal spikes, idiot!" Kageyama Tobio snarled, staring daggers at the shorter orange haired boy. "You're too fast!"

"Well, your tosses just can't handle how fast I am!" Hinata Shouyou retorted, pointing at him comically. "You're too slow!"

End of school practice always was a riot and everyone in the school was thankful that most of the noise was made after school times. Asahi Azumane and Nishinoya Yū followed sheepishly, deciding to spend to take a break with the infamous pair. With Nishinoya entering the battle at times, much to Asahi's dismay.

"G-Guys I think you should stop," Asahi chided, looking at the fight getting a little too heated. "You're bothering everyone around you..."

They were still quarrelling in the garden area now, far away from the gymnasium, a few teachers not even bothering to separate them knowing that they wouldn't be able to survive. Classmates sighed with annoyance, unfortunately used to this situation.

"Who cares," Kageyama snorted. "I just want to prove that this shorty here is wrong!"

Nishinoya laughed nervously, himself getting a little scared at the faces they were making at each other and the tension between them.

Would this ever end?

"Oh my god, can you both just shut up?" questioned an annoyed. The boys looked around, trying to find the source of the voice but to no avail. A loud intentional cough directed them towards two girls, one with toffee hair holding stack of botany books in her arms with undeniable rage and another with a calm expression clutching a small shovel. "You're disturbing everyone around here, you first years."

Kageyama and Hinata gulped loudly, shiftily gazing at the shovel she was pointing at their faces now and her intimidating presence. The calm surprisingly very short girl placed a hand on her shoulder and sighed. "Now now, Natarii-chan," she chastised, calming her down as much as possible. "Stop complaining, now you're the one who's disturbing everyone with the racket you're making." A blush arose from Natarii's cheeks, realising her mistake.

"Gomen, Chiharu," she groaned. "But the first years are annoying and have no respect for this place whatsoever."

"I know."

A strike of lightening went through the Hinata and then Kageyama, with Asahi and Nishinoya standing confused. Nishinoya grabbed his ace's arm. "Hey, Asahi, did you - ?"

"I - I don't know!" he stuttered back to the libero, thinking about whether that was an illusion or some mind trick.

"Anyways," Natarii coolly interrupted, flicking back her long black hair effortlessly, looking like some sort of model especially with her height matching Tsukishima's just a few inches below. "Kageyama Tobio-san, Hinata Shouyou-san, please apologise to plants you have disturbed."

"Wh-what?"

What sounded like a clanging bell echoed across the volleyball players ears, not believing the request she had just made. "Apologise to the plants, please." Natarii said again, her face not expressing any emotion but sternness.

"N-Na-chii," Chiharu intervened. "They don't know about plants..." Natarii simply kept looking at them, unfazed. Chiharu tutted, gesturing for them to apologise to get it over with. Quickly, they bowed and said sorry, with the plant-obsessed girl nodding with reluctant acceptance.