Chapter 8

Jason's POV:

I paced around the Zeus cabin, thinking, while Piper sat patently on the bed.  She didn't ask me for details of the fight, or how the talk with Annabeth went, and I was thankful for that. She knew I needed time to calm down. But seriously?! Perci was just watching me stumble around the lake, without helping me at all? What kind of friend does that? And then she just left Annabeth on the pier, crying? And she has the nerve to get ticked off when I tell her. What the Hades?

Though at the same time, she did look really cute with her sea green eyes sparkling, grinning broadly like we'd just shared some kind of joke. The way her hair was waving above her in the water... I shook my head. You've got an amazing girlfriend. You can't think about other girls. I firmly told myself. Piper curiously looked of from where she was sitting. "Jason?" She asked, and I smiled at her. "Yeah, Pipes." I asked her. "Is... something wrong?" Piper asked me, her eyes never really staying one color. "No... why would there be?" I told her, and she sighed. "Jason... you haven't been the same since the new girl came. Is something wrong?" She asked, and I shook my head firmly. "Nothing's wrong, Pipes." I assured her, smiling. She didn't really look convinced.

Piper's POV:

I looked up at Jason, smiling at me. I tried to feel reassured, but something was off... I just couldn't put my finger on it. I looked in his eyes, but... something was off. There was something missing that wasn't there before. If I were any other demigod, I would have been confused, trying to piece together what was wrong. But I was Piper McLean, daughter of Aphrodite. The goddess of love, and an expert in relationships. And I had enough of her skills to know that something wasn't right in mine anymore. 

"Jason... is it that new girl?" I asked him tentatively, and his smile turned into a scowl. "Yeah, she's just so... ugh!" He said, throwing his hands up in the air with frustration. He started ranting about how annoying she was, what had happened down by the lake, yada yada yada. I wasn't really paying attention. Despite the words that came out of his mouth, his eyes told a different story. They seemed conflicted about something. On the one hand, there was annoyance, frustration, and a bit of anger. On the other hand... I wasn't exactly sure, but I had an idea. "Jason." I interrupted him. "Are you happy with me? Do you love me... still?" I asked him. 

He nodded frantically. "Of course I'm happy, Piper! Why would you say such a thing?" He asked, and I noticed that he didn't answer my question. "Jason." I said even firmer than before." He looked at me. "Look me in the eye and tell me that you love me." I commanded him, standing up. He looked at me in shock. "Why would you ask me to do that? You know I love you." He said, but I noticed that he didn't look me in the eye. "Jason. Just do it... please." I said more gently. He sighed. "Piper I..." his voice caught, and he didn't continue. 

I nodded sadly. "I thought so. Now, Jason, answer me truthfully. Are you happy with me as your girlfriend?" I asked him calmly. In truth, my heart was breaking. I loved Jason more than I could say. We've been through so much together, our love tested and tried. And it came out even stronger. But now... here he was, having doubts about whether I was the one for him. "Of course I'm happy! I-" He said, but stopped from the look I gave him. He sighed. "To be honest... I'm not sure anymore." He told me, looking down. "I love you, but..." Jason sighed, and didn't finish the sentence. He suddenly brought his hands up in frustration. "I just don't know anymore, Pipes! I love you, but then... she came into the picture. I can't... I know I love you but..." He tried to say. I nodded sadly again. "I know, Jason. I know. Perci?" I asked him, and he flinched at the name. "She's just... I can't stop thinking about her! Her hair, her eyes, her smile." He stopped, and looked hopefully up at me. "You think she did some kind of magic trick?" He asked, his eyes full of hope. I shook my head sadly. "I wish it were that easy, but no. It's not. You..." my voice caught. "You love Perci. And I'm willing to end our relationship if it means you'll be happy." I said firmly, trying not to cry.

I love Jason Grace. I love him with all my heart. But love has to work both ways. If he doesn't love me anymore... if someone else would make him happier... I would be willing to give him up to be happy. That's what love is. "You... you want to break up with me?" He asked, hope turning to pain. I felt tears fill my eyes, no matter how hard I tried to keep them away. "No... I don't want to break up with you. But I love you. And if you really love someone... you got to let them go." I said, quoting the old expression. I tried for a smile, but I didn't know if it worked. "Pipes..." he tried, reaching out to me. I Felt the tears threaten to come spilling out. "Goodbye, Jason Grace. If this is what makes you happy, if this is what you want..." I said, my voice breaking. I ran to the doorframe, then stopped when Jason called my name. "We... we can still be friends, right?" He said, looking like a small child filled with hope. It broke my heart again that he didn't try to deny it, didn't try to stop me, claim his undying love for me. I nodded, not trusting my voice to speak, and ran out the door to Annabeth.

Once I found her, I collapsed into her arms, crying. The last thing I saw before she brought me inside was Jason looking at me, heartbroken, from the doorway. 

Jason's POV:

The pain filled my heart, tearing it mercilessly. I saw Piper run to Annabeth, crying. Perci looked confused while Annabeth led her into the Athena cabin, where she and Perci had just come out. Perci tried to follow, but Annabeth waved her away. Perci looked like she was about to protest, but Annabeth waved her away. I looked down to Piper, and her gaze found mine. Her eyes, even from this distance, were filled with sorrow and heartache. She buried her face in Annabeth's shoulder before the door closed on the two of them, leaving the campers staring for the third big scene today. And we haven't even gone to breakfast yet. 

Perci looked around, probably telling the campers to get back to work, before her gaze found mine. Her eyes narrowed, and she started marching towards me. Uh oh. I thought, but didn't show any signs of the worry I was feeling on my face. I sat down on the bed waiting for her to arrive, and buried my face in my hands. "Dude, what the Hades?!" Perci yelled before sitting on the bunk opposite of mine. "Yeah. I know. I messed up big time." I said to my hands. "That's an understatement." Perci snorted. "How did I mess up so badly?" I asked my hands again, refusing to look up at the pretty girl sitting opposite me. Wait... did I just call Perci pretty? And right after I'de broken up with Piper? You really are heartless. I thought. "That's what I want to know." Perci said, frustration evident in her voice. 

"Piper broke up with me." I said shortly before groaning in my hands. "Oh." Perci said shortly, looking lost. "Then why'd she run out crying?" I looked up from where I was. "I thought you were here to comfort me." I said sarcastically. "Actually, I was here to yell at you, but I guess I could do that too." Perci said. There was a tense silence, and neither one of us spoke. "Aren't you going to comfort me?" I said, finally. Perci looked uncomfortable. "Um... yeah... I'm not good at these kinds of things." Perci said. "No, really?" I said in a voice full of sarcasm. 

She immediately brightened up. "You want to go get an ice cream?" She said before getting up on the bed. "Yeah, sure." I said, before getting up and following her out. We bought the ice cream (hers was blue for some reason... just like Percy's) and we sat down by the lake, same spot where we argued before. We laughed and joked around and basically acted like total idiots. Perci reminded me more of Percy by each passing minute. Eventually, the other guys joined us and we had a great rest of the day. By the time I was in my cabin, I decided that Piper was right. I really did like Perci, no matter how much I hated myself for it.