Chapter 16

Jason's POV:

I looked over the sleeping forms of Nico and Leo. I wasn't sure what exactly had woken me, but I was sorry it had. I really enjoyed getting a good night's rest. Suddenly, I tensed. I heard twigs snapping in the clearing, and footfalls walking. I heard someone take a deep breath, and suddenly stop. I waited for about a minute, and my hand went to my sword. Trying not to make any noise, my hand moved to the zipper on the tent. I was prepared to unzip it, and jump out with my sword ready to face who ever it was out there. 

My hand had just found the zipper when something unexpected filled my ears. 

"I can hold my breath," just those five words filled my heart, and made me smile a little bit. Whoever it was out there had a truly beautiful voice, probably more beautiful than even the sirens. They continued while I listened.

"I can bite my tongue

I can stay awake for days

If that's what you want

Be your number one

I can fake a smile

I can force a laugh

I can dance and play the part

If that's what you ask

Give you all I am

I can do it

I can do it

I can do it

But I'm only human-"

Here, they stopped. I felt my heart plummet. I really wanted to hear more of the music. I wasn't sure if it was an enemy out there, enchanting me to make me weak. If it was, it was working. "That doesn't make sense, since I'm not a human. I'm more than that." the singer said, obviously thinking out loud. I took a sharp breath. It was Perci. I never knew Perci was that good at singing. Why was she outside at this time of night? Why was she singing? And more importantly, how did she get this good? I felt my liking toward the black-haired girl grow a bit more. Then, my wish came true.

"But I'm only half-god

So I bleed when I fall down

I'm only half-god

I can crash and I break down

Your words in my head, knives in my heart

I stand up and you break me apart

'Cause I'm only half-god

I can turn it on

Be a good machine

I can hold the weight of worlds

If that's what you need

Be your everything

I can do it

I can do it

I'll get through it

But I'm only half-god

So I bleed when I fall down

I'm only half-god

I can crash and I break down

Your words in my head, knives in my heart

I stand up and then you break me apart

'Cause I'm only half-god

I'm only half-god

I'm only half-god

Just a puny half-god!" Her voice was filled with emotion, as if Perci was using music to get rid of some strong emotions. What emotions was that? What caused it? Did it have to do with Perci being the Cursed One, and her past? Her voice was filled with defiance, emotion that only made her music stronger, more passionate. More beautiful.