Chapter 11

Perci's POV:

"What were you doing, children? Having a fight? I approve of one in the sword arena, but by the lake? That is in direct violation of the rules." Chiron lectured us as soon as we entered his office. I felt genuinely guilty, and ashamed for what I did. There was a rule at Camp Half-Blood that said there weren't supposed to be sword fights outside the sword arena. This was to prevent the skirmishes that always happened between the campers from hurting anyone else. In the sword arena, anyone could watch in the stands if they wanted to. It was the proper fighting ground, and it got in no one's way. But in random places around camp... that could hurt some innocent camper. It also got in the way of camp life.

As I was thinking about this, a light came through the office. It was a pink light, filled with small hearts and flowers. It was in a spiral shape, twisting around each other in a funnel. When it was gone, there stood the most beautiful woman I'd ever seen, and never wished to see again. Mark's jaw dropped, and his eyes nearly popped out of their sockets. He started to drool like a dog at the sight of her. I, meanwhile, had the opposite reaction. I was filled with a cold rage. Chiron just looked at her as if this were nothing out of the ordinary. "Lady Aphrodite. What can we do for you?" Chiron asked formally. I started stomping towards her, not caring if I were showing disrespect. "You." I said angrily, my voice filled with venom. "You did this to me. This is all your fault!" I said as I stopped in front of her. "Change me back!" I demanded, and she just laughed elegantly.

I was filled with more rage, and I wanted to pounce on her. "Perci, sit back. How can we help you, Aphrodite?" He said, directing his attention to the Greek goddess while I steamed. "I would like to have a little word with Perci, in private." She said, winking at Mark. He looked like one of those lovesick puppies in the cartoons, and nearly swooned when Aphrodite winked at him. Chiron smiled. "Yes, of course. There is another room down at the end of the hall, to your right." Chiron directed her and she immediately walked off. I stomped after her, seething with anger.

"Ah, Perci. You look lovely as a girl." Aphrodite said as she closed the door. And all of Hades broke loose. "I LOOK LOVELY? YOU CURSED ME! I'M GETTING REALLY SICK OF BEING LIKE THIS, AND ALL YOU HAVE TO SAY IS I'M LOVELY? TURN ME BACK!!" I roared. It was a little all over the place, and it wasn't exactly as I imagined, but it felt good to shout at her. For all the time I'd been at Camp Half-Blood, intense emotions had been churning inside me. I wasn't sure if it was girl hormones, or the fact that I'd been turned into a girl, but the intensity of the emotions was like a thorn in my mind. You can ignore it a little bit, but it's always there, growing more painful. Anger at Aphrodite, frustration I couldn't do anything about it, and most of all, confusion. Confusion on how I was supposed to behave. Confusion on my friends, where I belonged. Confusion about what happened last night. It felt good to vent my feelings somehow.

Aphrodite had seemed unfazed the entire rant, and even stifled a polite yawn. "Are you finished?" She asked sweetly as the anger churned and bubbled inside of me. "No. Though I suppose I should probably see why you're here." I growled at her. She smiled elegantly. "Great! So, I need your help." She began, and I growled. "My, my, someone's an animal today!" She mock scolded me. "You messed with my life and you expect me to help you?" I said, shocked by the nerve of this goddess. "Yes." She said simply. I opened my mouth to shout at her about how I would never help her in a million years, blah, blah, blah, when she said something that surprised me.

"I have the power to change you back into a boy. You do want that, don't you?" She said, raising an elegant eyebrow. I nodded vigorously. She seemed satisfied with my answer, and nodded firmly. "Good. I thought so." She said, and continued with her explanation. "I'm willing to make a deal." She said, and my ears perked up in interest. "I'm willing to turn you back to a boy, if you do a quest for me." She said. I nodded, gesturing her to continue. "My magic girdle has gone missing, stolen under Zeus's orders, I'm sure. I need you to go on a quest to retrieve it." I didn't want to do the quest, and I remembered the promise that I made the day Annabeth broke up with me. I didn't want to be a pawn in the love goddess's game.