You Shouldn't Have Come Here

The morning after Dumbledore's death, I was completely packed and ready to leave, and feeling absolutely awful. The order had decided amongst themselves that I should return home immediately -- completely bypassing Dumbledore's funeral -- so that the Death Eaters wouldn't have any suspicions as to where my loyalty was.

A young student came into my dorm to tell me that my parent's were here to collect me. I got up and grabbed my trunk and started making my way out. Immediately I was reminded of the time my parent's came to get me from Lumins. That time it had been a welcomed change -- this time it was the start of a dangerous game.

Ginny met me halfway down the stairs and wrapped me in a suffocating hug before I could say anything. I closed my eyes. "Be careful," she breathed in my ear.

"You too, Ginny," I said back. Upon opening my eyes, I noticed that Emmy was there too. "Hey Emmy."

"Oh, Allie," Emmy said, her face full of tears. She grabbed me in a hug immediately after Ginny released me. "I knew this was going to happen!" she cried. I giggled despite myself -- of course she knew. She released me. "Hey, this isn't funny! Listen, please be careful. Remember that terrible vision I had of you last year? I said that if you stayed with Draco that your life would go down in flames? Well, this is the start of that. Don't do anything stupid -- though, knowing you, I'm sure that's a lost cause. I guess what I should be telling you is to protect yourself, and protect your own. The Death Eaters are going to know exactly what to do to make you stay loyal and I don't mean giving you a dark mark, I mean making you completely attached to their side. Tying you to them in a way that can't be undone..." She shook her head bitterly.

"You're scaring me. What do you mean 'protect your own'?"

"You'll know what I mean soon enough. It's not good to know your own future, trust me," she said, and then her expression changed. "I'm so sorry, Allie. I'm sorry for the way things went this year between us and I'm sorry for what's going to happen to you... I'm just so sorry."

"It's okay, Emmy," I said, hugging her once more. "Alright, I have to go meet my parents... I'll see you guys... Soon hopefully."

After meeting my parents in the headmaster's office, we walked briskly to Hogsmeade and apparated to our home. I was immediately met by my grandfather, Nehemiah and Elijah at his side. "You shouldn't have come here," he said, his voice grave.

"What do you mean? This is my house."

"No.. You don't understand! I'm not supposed to say anything but they are talking about branding you with the dark mark or...killing you! You shouldn't have come here! I'm trying my best to convince them otherwise but...now that the Dark Lord is staying at the Malfoy Manor, he's become part of the decision and he's got other ideas...," his dark eyes made contact with the floor.

"Look, it was my decision to come back. I'm not running away from anything." Besides, Emmy said they wouldn't brand me...although she didn't say anything about murder. I shuddered.

"Are you stupid?" It was Elijah this time. He looked angry and hurt and even a little frightened. "You can't be here. Leave."

"Allie is seventeen years old. She is an adult and is capable of making her own decisions, no matter who disagrees. My daughter is a strong-willed and intuitive person; she knows what she's getting into. Not to mention the fact that I'm a seer. She will not be branded or killed. Now, this is the last time this will be spoken of. Understand?" my mother said, her face a fiery mask of decisiveness. In that moment, I was extremely proud to have her as my mother.

"Penelope--" Ben began.

"No, dad. You heard me. She's my daughter, not yours!"

"You have no idea what you're doing," he said before stalking off to where his room is.