We've Come To Ask A Favor

I thought I could have a few days of quiet and peace. Maybe I could spend the time needed with my boyfriend or perhaps I could read a book. What a wishful thinker I was.

The very next day after the awkward, eventful dinner, Ben and Nehemiah showed up on our doorstep once more. My mother let them in and I just so happened to be listening in on their conversation from the next room over.

"We've come to ask a favor...," said Ben.

"What kind of favor?" my mom asked.

"I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather be staying with family than with a few acquaintances. Nehemiah and I are going to move in. I know that you've got an office and a guest bedroom, we could stay in those," Ben said, not asked. I was shocked that he blatantly told my mom that he was moving in. Was she going to allow that?

"Um....yeah, I guess you could move in.... Dad, could I talk to you alone for a few minutes?" my mom stammered.

"Of course," he smiled and got up to follow my mom into the kitchen.

I decided that at this point, I should go talk to Nehemiah and see what the deal was.

I tiptoed into the room and Nehemiah didn't see me. "Hi," was all I said and he jumped with shock.

"You scared me," he laughed, putting his hand on his chest. "I assume you were listening in on your grandfather's conversation?"

"How did you know? Wait, never mind, I forgot that you're a freak of nature," I joked. "Why does he want you to move in? What's wrong with the Malfoys?"

"He doesn't like them. Maybe if Lucius was around he would be keener to stay because I know they used to be friends during the first war. But, since he happens to be in Azkaban, it's only been Narcissa, Draco, and a few other death eaters who come and go. He really doesn't like Draco.....at all. That's because you're seeing him though."

"Yeah, I guessed that much. But, you will still be going to the Malfoy's manor for death eater meetings and things like that?"

"Oh, yes. He doesn't really want to involve his family in the 'business' side of things. He truly wants to keep you safe. I think that's why he doesn't want you with the Malfoy boy. There is talk of 'using' him."

"What?" I said, sounding utterly appalled. Using my Draco? No way.

"I'm not really supposed to say anything...." I sat down on the couch next to him and looked into his eyes with intensity. He needed to know that I was serious.

"Let's just say that the Dark Lord needs someone to do his dirty work for him.... Next time you see your boyfriend maybe you should ask him to spill."

"Are you saying that he knows about this? And he didn't tell me?"

"That's exactly what I'm saying."

"You've got to be kidding me. He's not telling me things again? Ay dios mio!"

".....What?"

"Nothing!" I said in frustration. I was so disappointed that he didn't think he could tell me things like this. This was vital information and I was hearing it from a guy that I had only met the day before. Although it felt like I had known him much longer already.

"Well, at least you told me. You know, I think we could help each other out."

"How do you mean?"

"Well, you're going to be living in my house, and I'll be getting inside information from you."

"You sound a whole lot like your grandfather right now. He's not much of a negotiator."

"I noticed."

"You know, you are really sassy."

"Got a problem with it?"

"No, I like it."

I stayed silent. Was he hitting on me? I really hoped that I was hallucinating. I didn't want to ruin everything......

"You know, I think we could be really great friends. As long as you're giving me information that is.... You're pretty cool."

"Am I? I hadn't noticed. Oh wait, yes I have. I noticed that when I was born. I've always been cool."

"You just keep telling yourself that," I said in a hushed tone. This guy was so different from what I had expected him to be.

"You know.......when I move in, your boyfriend is going to be really jealous. He might do something drastic.

"You're probably right....but I can't really do anything about it. He's a guy, he's going to imagine things are happening that aren't. He's done it before, he'll do it again."

"Not all guys are like that. I could tell from the get go that he was that type of guy and you were that type of girl."

"What's that supposed to mean?" I said, hitting him on the arm.

"I just mean that he's the jealous type and you're the girl who's in her first serious relationship, possibly your first relationship period."

"Well, you're wrong, at least about one thing."

"Which one?"

"He was my first and last real relationship but he hasn't been my only one."

"You were with someone else in-between?"

"Yes.....I was with a guy called Dean. It was more of a rebound situation for me but for him it was something way more. It was just a horrible situation that I don't want to explain for fear of sounding like a bitch....which would be totally deserved."

"I'm sure you didn't mean to hurt anyone.... We've all done it once or twice."

"What about you? Who have you hurt?"

"Well......" Just then, the voices of my mom and Ben echoed through the hallway, they were nearing and I had to leave.

"I'll see you later, I guess," I whispered as I tiptoed out of the room.

"Come on, Nehemiah. We've got to go get our things. You get the office, Penelope will conjure up a bed while we're gone," I heard Ben, his voice faint at the end after he walked out of the door.

I walked into the living room like I hadn't heard a thing. "Allie....I've got some news that I don't think you'll like."

"What is it?"

"Well...your grandfather and Nehemiah are moving in. I knew you wouldn't like it so I tried to talk him out of it but he just won't budge. I'm sorry.... I didn't really want Nehemiah living here at all because we don't know him that well but.....your grandfather was just set on it and I couldn't make him change his mind. He won't go anywhere without that kid."

"I would actually prefer Nehemiah to Ben. He's actually a decent guy. Ben is so obviously not a decent man, he's a murderer and I can't get over that."

"How do you know that Nehemiah hasn't killed anyone? He probably has, knowing his status."

"Well, we don't know that, do we? Don't be so quick to judge! If you're letting your dad stay here, you can let Nehemiah stay here. He can't be as bad as Ben. Be honest with yourself."

My mom crossed her arms over her chest and stared me down. She knew I was right, although I could see her point. He was techinically still a stranger, although it didn't really feel like it. It was easy to forget that I had only known him for less than 24 hours.

"Did you hear that?" my mom asked.

"What?"

"Someone just knocked on the door. Go get it," she said before she turned to go up the stairs to her bedroom.

I walked to the door, fulling knowing who it would be. When I opened it, Draco was there waiting for me with his jaw set in anger. I knew he had found out and I knew he wasn't going to be happy about it. Little did he know, I had a bone to pick with him as well.