Chapter Seven

Small, white snowflakes drift slowly from the sky, clinging to black eyelashes that brush against ice colored skin. The small, cold droplets cause those lids to lift ever so slowly, violets gazing up into heavy grey clouds. The strange girl lying in the fluffy snow had long black hair that framed her face, the bangs clinging to her forehead. She was clothed in a long fur lined coverall that fell to her knees in the front and back, and to her knuckles at her sides. The inside of this cloak was lined with black bear fur while the outside was made of white deer skins. The black fur fringing it made a dark circle around her head as the hood covered the rest of her long black hair that was bound in braids. Under the winter garment, a long black velvet skirt could be seen with violet jewel toned silk decorating the otherwise plain outfit. Black fur lined boots went up to her knees and allowed her to walk freely in the soft snow. Her lips trembled with cold yet she made no moves to stand…the winter drained her here. It was so cold and dark…so empty… Everything seemed empty when the only colors were white, black and grey.

She knew she wouldn’t be left alone much longer though…Talia, her close friend who was three years her junior, would be sent to fetch her. Given the fact she was out here instead of getting lunch or attending classes, she would probably be sent to talk to Uncle Harold….he would not be happy. A white sigh left her, the air swirling visibly as she sat up. It wasn’t her fault she was out here though. No, it was the entire bloody Queen’s fault! That foul woman who had hated her since she came only seven years prior was the reason she currently sat in the snow and cold. Her eyes shut again as her memories replayed. She had debuted in the summer with the passing of her eighteenth birthday, the celebration small but enlightening. She had finally been welcomed by her peers and as such, allowed to see them for what they were: Money grubbing status obsessed weaklings. The girls in the groups only wanted to know her because of her status….it was important for them to associate with a princess if they wanted to get recognition as a major family. The boys were the worst though. Where previously the men had treated her with respect and sweetness, now they constantly questioned her character, trying to make her look at them and some even trying to get in her bed. They wanted to marry her so that they could be King when her father was gone since her parents had no other children. When she learned how they wanted to use her, and worse that it was the Queen who encouraged them, she made a choice to stay away from most of the male gender. As such, she was constantly getting in trouble for running away from gatherings, missing meals and skipping lessons. Her dearest adopted uncle didn’t mind and had even started giving her meaningless errands so she could avoid the other nobles but it still didn’t stop them from finding her half the time.

“Feliciana! Where in Demon’s name are ya?” the shout sounded from the castle, signaling Talia really had been sent after her. It was the even louder bark that led to her eyes snapping open just in time to be bowled over by her now much larger Ty-Pyro. The creature had grown much, much bigger in the last seven years and now his head came up to her breasts with long legs. His paws were surrounded with grey ruffles that were more like clouds than fur and when he used his powers or was angry, they turned red and gold like the fire he breathed. His wings had grown out and were now much bigger than his ice type cousins. They were now tipped in red yet the rest of him was still snow white. His large head was shoved close to her face, heavy panting causing steam to blur her vision as Val’s now much deeper voice sounded inside her head. ‘Feli, we have been looking all over for you! Harold wishes to see you for something or other though he did specify it was important.’ Feliciana blinked her violet eyes up at her precious pet and ran now long delicate fingers through his heavy fur.

“I’ll be right there if you get off of me Valkea.” She didn’t have to wait long for Talia came up and grabbed the leather and ruby collar, signaling Valkea to move. About four years back, a hunter had shot an arrow at Valkea while he was walking next to Feli who was out for a ride on the horse Harold had given her. After that, Harold had a large collar made that was more like a necklace so that it would not be hidden by his long, thick coat. What was delivered to the palace was an adjustable leather collar in a V like shape that dipped towards his chest. It was decorated with rubies and intricate silver work like vines with ruby red leaves. At the point of the V, a single tear drop shaped diamond lay, blending in with his snowy fur and twinkling in the pale light of winters’ sun. Tali stretched out a single tanned hand to pull the older girl to her feet, walking behind her and brushing the snow from her back. “What am I ever to do with you!? All you do is hide out in the snow and you don’t even like winter! Why come out into the cold and damp if you don’t like the season? Just go hide off somewhere else!” Tali’s words were as sharp and caustic as ever, bringing a smile to Feli’s face.