Chapter Eighteen

Haydn stared at the well-lit camps across the river, trying to count the number of fires and how many soldiers might be sitting at each. His black eyes narrowed as he focused in on a glow just over the ridge on the other side of the river but he was shaken from his thoughts when a hand landed on his shoulder. “You’ve been standing out here for a while, Haydn; I think it’s time you rest.” Haydn peered at the warmly smiling face of General Triani. Despite the bright smile on the older man’s face, Haydn found himself stiffening and pulling away with a scowl. “I am fine, what I do is no concern of yours.” His response was cold but he made no move to turn away from the man. If there was one thing Haydn didn’t do, it was turn his back on someone he didn’t trust. The other General frowned slightly, a crease forming in his brow before he forced a smile to his face once more. “Well, Old Grayson is holding a tactical meeting so I figure, whether you wish to talk to me or not, you do need to report in, ‘Junior General’ Haydn.” Haydn’s teeth ground at the words. How dare they give him a lower rank just to satisfy these ambitious, unknowledgeable ingrates who thought they knew more about war than he who actually served in the last war! Nodding jerkily, he followed the physically older man back towards the lines of dark tents where they were camping out. Haydn was surprised that they had set their camp up in such an obvious spot but they could clearly see that the Nyekian army they faced had not set up catapults so it made some sense. He didn’t feel comfortable knowing that the enemy could watch them just as they watched the enemy but there was nothing he could do about it…

When they reached the largest tent at the center of the amassed soldiers, Haydn was led inside where warm air was trapped inside by the heavy hides that made up the tent. In Haydn’s opinion it was very posh compared to what they had when he served in the last war but maybe it was better this way since it made sure their soldiers were kept healthier instead of left to the elements. Gathered around a desk at the far end of the tent but within the bright glow of the fire, were the Captains of each squad as well as General Grayson of the Second Quadrant. Haydn, who had been given his former rank of General when he took over command of the First Quadrant in the fallen Bren’s stead, was unimpressed as they waved him over to join their supposed planning. So far these men had shown nothing but incompetence yet, despite his position, he was outranked because he was the newest General. Triani was the General of the Third Quadrant but he was the only one that had actually gained his rank by moving up through the ranks. Grayson was a middle aged man who had only earned his title through connections and popularity. The only reason he was even interested in spearheading this mission was because of the glory he would earn if his men did well.

Haydn didn’t like either of them and it showed as he folded his arms over his chest, refusing to acknowledge them in any way. Grayson frowned disapprovingly at him but Haydn did well at blatantly ignoring him so the older man waved Triani over. “I doubt those Icicle Bastards will come over the river to attack us with our army sitting here…if we just sit here, eventually we’ll run out of supplies and have to return to the castle which is when they will invade.” Triani looked over the map that was laid out on the desk and nodded. “Sounds accurate, at most we will only be able to sit out here for a month. There is also the coming threat of summer. We are near the southern side of Beldan; the temperatures are higher here than in the north, the men won’t know how to deal with it.” Haydn sighed and spoke up. “Give them lighter clothing, wearing a heavy uniform will only slow them down in battle anyway. The people of Nyek are used to bitter cold temperatures for most of the year, they won’t be able to stand the coming hot weather either.” He flicked his eyes over those gathered before glancing back towards the opening of the tent. “For a country that is only several hours away castle to castle…Beldan sure is giving us trouble protecting her southern half.” The two other Generals nodded tightly and looked back over the map. “I say we cross the river and meet them head on in a surprise attack. They won’t be expecting it and we can decimate them since this portion of their army doesn’t seem to be that big.” Triani pointed at the small white stone that indicated the Nyekian force.