Chapter Ten

The Capital was bustling with people of all types. You had children running around in clothes normally too nice to play in, parents smiling softly and never minding the children’s antics on this day of celebration. The temperature had warmed over the last few days, melting the snow and drying the earth so that they could walk easily. There were still patches of snow and mud but it was obvious spring was upon them. Merchants called out sale after sale and Feli couldn’t help grabbing two pears from a fruit merchant. She tossed him a golden coin from the hidden pouch in her dress and despite the fact that she over paid; she walked away in the spirit of the day. Giving one of the sweet fruits to her mother, Feli bit into her own despite her father’s slightly disapproving glance. He had changed a bit since she was a child, becoming more autocratic and demanding when it came to the rules of high society but she had taken to ignoring those parts of him.

“Come now father, it is a day of celebration! Let us throw off the bonds of nobility for just a day.” Her smile must have been infectious for the man smiled back and nodded with a small sigh. “Fine, let’s have fun but do refrain from acting to tomboyish.” Feli’s musical laugh sounded as she trotted forward a few steps and spun to face her parents. She waited for them to catch up before turning to lead them through the crowded streets of the Capital. Heiligwas always a very busy place to live but on celebratory days, it was even more so! What made Feli happy was that none of the citizens treated her any differently despite the fact that she was a princess from a foreign land. The happy family spent a few hours touring the festival, buying treats and souvenirs, playing and eating delicious food. It was wonderful being able to spend the festival with her parents and she was excited to see the jousting competition. It was always thrilling to see the soldiers she had befriended facing off against each other, some even sporting her colors. When they approached the arena that was set out on a large field just outside of town, Feli rushed towards the tents where men from all over the continent were preparing gear and mounts for their rides.

“Bren?” Feli called out loudly as she ran. She didn’t care if it wasn’t proper; she wanted to visit her friend. Her parents strolled on behind her, smiling at her antics. Her father may have been a bit more of a stickler for rules than her mother but he knew when to have fun and cared deeply about his family’s happiness. They did react, however, when a hand reached out and snagged Feli mid step, making the princess laugh for she knew those arms to well. “Found you!” She laughed, her voice drawing the attention of many men who stared in awe of the princess from a foreign land. “On the contrary, Princess, it was I who found you.” Bren released her after a few moments and examined her outfit, nodding his approval. “You look as lovely as ever, Feliciana but to what do I owe the favor of having the company of such a lovely flower?” Bren held her arm in a tight grasp and Feli frowned lightly when she realized he was watching the other men instead of focusing on her. His conduct made her uncomfortable though she ignored it in favor of explaining what brought them here. It wasn’t the first time she had felt this way, he had been acting strange since the ball and it had certainly put strain on their relationship.

“I know you don’t ride until the championship but I wanted to come and wish you luck as well as pass off my favor. You are riding under my mark today, are you not?” Bren nodded and lowered his head in a deep bow. “Then, Milady, may I ask for the favor of your land so I may bring it honor on this day?” At this, Feli frowned deeply and took a step back in shock. “You do not wish to ride under my colors, Bren?” She didn’t know who he was trying to show off for but she was unsettled by his attitude. “Yes, Milady, I wish to bring honor to your country and your parents on this day.” He looked up at her from his bow and she knew he was serious…it made her heart ache slightly at the changes in her friend. Pulling the heavy, Beldanian favor off of her wrist she squared her shoulders and tossed it to him. “Fine then, ride for Beldan this day Sir Strussten.” Her voice was stiff with formality. Without looking at Bren, Feli turned to her mother and gave Matilda the rest of the Beldanian favors before marching away from them. She ignored her Mother’s inquiries and Bren’s subordinates cheers though she laughed slightly when she heard someone cry out and the barks of Valkea for she knew he was defending her honor. After a few moments, the dog rushed back to her side and nuzzled her hand so she could hear his words. “Ignore his ignorance, Feli. He knows not what he does wrong.” Feli scowled. “I know but he still angers me…what has made him change so?” the last was tinged with sadness for she missed her friend somewhat. “Let us find Alexei, I heard he shall be participating in this event as well. That should make you smile at least.” Feli laughed softly and patted Val’s head. “Alright then, let us find the young prince.”