Chapter Nine

(Just wanted to say thanks to anyone who has been reading this and that I hope you guys have enjoyed it so far! Please leave feedback as well, if you wouldn't mind! Thank chu~)

Feli felt Alexei’s grip tighten till it was painful but she said nothing as he released her waist to turn towards Bren who had interrupted their dance. “Yes?” The cold voice that emanated from the boy she had found to be nothing more than a sweet, childlike being made her want to flinch. It was filled with a harshness she hadn’t heard earlier and she had the sudden thought that maybe everything from before was little more than an act. “I apologize for the intrusion but I was hoping to gain a dance with our Princess. You have been monopolizing her for the last six dances.” Alexei calmly arched one snow colored eyebrow and leveled his gaze on Bren. It was then Feli realized just how tall the foreign Prince was…he was taller than Bren by at least two inches. “Who are you and why do you feel I should turn her over to you?” Bren drew himself up to his full height, aura brimming with self-confidence. “I am General Bren Strussten of the First Quadrant. I am also Princess Feliciana’s escort.” Bren’s usually warm eyes shone with something Feli could only describe as a superiority complex. Turning her attention to Alexei, she couldn’t help but be drawn more to his subtle strength which shone so much brighter than Bren’s self-indulgence. It was a strength that emanated from deep within the Prince and reminded Feli of the feeling his eyes had given her when she first met them.  

Those cold silver eyes drug up and down, taking in every minor change in the planes of Bren’s body before a smirk settled on the Prince’s lips. “That’s quite the title for one such as you. Tell me, have you ever actually been in a war? Killed someone and been near death yourself? I mean really now, isn’t that normally how one comes to acquire the title of General?” A flush of rage colored Bren’s cheeks and his hands clenched into fists. “Oh and you have been in wars? In these times of peace, it’s not like anyone here can claim they have seen war! Now if you would kindly release Princess Feliciana, we will be on our way.” Bren made to grab Feli’s free hand but she was pulled out of reach by Alexei whose eyes clouded over as though he were remembering something. “Times of peace….yes, I guess that is true right now… War is just a distant memory for you all. A threat you will hopefully never face…a story told to scare young children, yes that is war.” His sigh almost pitied Bren but Feli felt something in those words that made her think. She knew Nyek was a country riddled with skirmishes over land and the like.

Bren’s reply was cut off by a shorter, burly looking man with a scraggly beard and wind roughened skin. His eyes were deep brown, almost black and he was dressed in a military outfit, the colors of which was white and storm grey. A heavy coat in that dark grey was cinched together with a white belt holding a single long sword and two short swords. His pants were in the same grey with more white belts holding his pants tight against his legs and white, fur lined boots stretched halfway up his calves. On his breast pocket was the beautiful insignia of Nyek stitched in silver and ice blue thread. The insignia was of three jagged marks like those created by an animal’s claws and surrounded by a silver wreath. It was beautiful and delicate but the ice blue claw marks were dangerous at the same time. “My Lord, you are being requested by some of the nobles of this country.” The tall man had a gruff, accented voice that made Feli tilt her head. He spoke politely and yet a part of her wondered if this man was truly a soldier of the Nyekian military. Alexei turned his attention to the other and seemed to contemplate the man’s words before nodding slowly. “Yes, I guess after avoiding them for this long I should grace them with my presence… Rather, I don’t have a choice, do I?” The last part was grumbled and Feli finally broke her silence, letting out a soft laugh. “Go Alexei; do not let me keep you from you ‘duties’. I will be fine dancing with Bren, I am in good hands and worst comes to worst, I know how to protect myself.” Alexei turned to her and his childish smile came back full force but after getting a glimpse of what lay underneath Feli wasn’t as comforted by the display. “Of course I know you can protect yourself dear Feli. I have never doubted that for a moment.” Alexei loosened his grip and she cringed slightly as blood flowed back into her numb hand as he brought it gently to his lips. “I am more concerned about what others may try to do you and what horrible thoughts they may have.” Releasing her hand fully, he turned to Bren and that smile transformed into a nerve-racking smirk that chilled her blood yet it wasn’t a completely bad feeling...