Chapter Twenty Five

A porcelain-toned hand swept heavy, dark grey tresses over a narrow shoulder draped in flowing black fabric. “Luka has failed in subduing the Reickian forces and the Beldanian Princess was spotted aiding them?” Cruel, cat like eyes narrowed as pink lips quirked up in a cruel smile. All present were quite, pitying glances being sent towards the messenger kneeling before the ornate throne of grey, silver and blue. The Empress, in all her glory, sat upon the throne with legs crossed and flowing dress prefect as ever. He waist length, glossy mane fell in pin-straight lines over one shoulder and down her back. Her features were still youthful, the only marker of her age a few lines on her forehead and the stern marks at her mouth. Her eyes, a putrid yellow, gold like color were sharp as she stared down at the poor man with unveiled, sadistic amusement.

“Y-yes, my Empress. Sir Luka was captured but according to the report, it is highly likely that he is dead… As for the Princess, she led a group of men into battle and saved the bulk of the Reickian forces.” Leaning forward slowly, her elbow bracing on her knee as she rests her angular chin on her palm, Natalia clicks long black, talon like nails upon her cheek lightly. Thin lips peel back to reveal a dangerous smile. “I believe the code of the Nyekian military is ‘Make no mistake, leave none that could become one, alive’ is it not? So tell me, who is it that made the mistake of allowing the Reickians to escape?” It was obvious the messenger was shaking though he was trying his best to control it as he tilted his head down to stare at the blue rug he sat upon. “I-I am just the messenger…” Before he could even finish his sentence, Natalia’s smile had slipped off her face and she took to her feet. “You are still a soldier, act like it you sniveling worm! I am asking you who gave the order!” The young soldier snapped his head up, staring at the tall Empress with terror in his gaze. Still he could not answer with information he did not have so he merely stared before hanging his head. “I will take your silence as admittance of your failure…as such, I must ask, what is it we do to traitors and Failures?” her cruel smile returned and she folded her arms over her stomach, tilting her head to the side in a mock expression of morbid curiosity. Those around the room had mixed reactions to her words. Some clenched their fists while others smiled in a mad show of solidarity with their Empress. Giggling, a grating sound that made the poor soldier at the foot of her dais tremble, sounded from her lips as she waved forward a guard. “Come now, it’s not a hard thing to remember…” She raised a hand as the guard drew his sword and lowered it sharply as metal sliced through the man’s neck easily and with no warning other than an indignant cry cut off by a wet thud.

Reclaiming her seat, she met the eyes of all present, her sharp smile growing wide as she took in the varying levels of shock and glee at the sight of the dead soldier. His head lay at the edge of her dais, empty eyes staring up at the cold-blooded empress though she didn’t seem the least put out. Leaning back, she rested her folded hands on her lap and giggled softly. “They die.” Nodding her head slowly, she glanced around again before seeming to remember something. “Has there been any word from my sweet son?” the gathered crowd of nobles seemed to grow uncomfortable at her words, drawing another giggle from her lips. “Such a naughty boy…running off like that.” She seemed to be talking to herself, not those gathered and she raised her hand, dismissing them without another word. Picking up her goblet of wine as she watched them file out she swirled the liquid a few times before gulping it down. Just as the large, silver and white washed doors closed, Natalia rose once more and threw the silver goblet with all her might; laughing in a loud, crazed manner.

“Return little rabbit…return to your cage of ice and sorrow…return, return, my sickly sweet rabbit…” Her voice echoed around the empty throne room with only the dead ears of the soldier to hear Natalia’s words. Slumping back into her throne, the woman clicked her nails against the stone arm of her throne. The sound made by her obsidian claws echoed across the empty room as she thought over the information provided by the now dead soldier. “Princess Feliciana… You brought an interesting player into our game, Alexei. She dares to stand in my way…that can only mean he awoke you.” She chuckles and shakes her head. Pondering over this a few moments, Natalia looks to her left where one of the small fires used to light the room burned brightly in its lamp. “It takes an awful lot of fire to melt the ice of Nyek…but no matter, I will play with you little Princess of fire. I will enjoy watching you break.”

Taking to her feet once more, she lifts her hands and claps three times. As the last final slap like sound fades from the air, the throne room doors open and an impressively dressed man steps in with a swift bow. “You called, Milady?” Natalia nodded with a cruel smile twisting her features. “I want you to send notice to Thoran, tell him to focus all his efforts on capturing Princess Spark.” The strange man’s face twisted into a matching grin as he nodded and bowed once more. “Of course, My Empress. In your name I shall make sure no more mistakes are made.” Giggling, Natalia closed the distance between them and laid her hand upon the man’s cheek. “I know you won’t let me down, Cyler.” The warrior, Cyler, nodded and turned on his heel before he could exit, the coldblooded Empress called after him once more “And do send someone to clean this mess up, Cyler. I need another goblet of wine.” With that, she returned to her throne. Maids were sent in to rid the room of the body, scrub the carpet and provide more wine for their Mistress. Natalia though, couldn’t help but continue to stare at the fire in the lamps around her. “Let our little game begin, Feliciana. Do try not to be crushed to quickly…”

Alexei’s passive aggressive movements had led her straight to the much adored Princess…she would have to remember to reward him for this after she had captured the little firefly. It would seem this mockery of a war would be more interesting than she thought it would be. The cowardly worms that had been getting fat over the last thousand years had spawned an interesting child. How far said child would get, Natalia was eager to see; was eager to defeat.