Chapter 5: The maskless heart

"I am afraid it is confirmed sir." The bespectacled man with graying hair, said in dread, "We had lost Ms. Fargo. Security failed to stop her from leaving."

It was official, Carla Fargo, a Councilman's daughter, whom the Council themselves appointed to be his date, had walked out of him. Gavril did not really expect anything else knowing who this girl was, but he could not believe that a little girl's tantrum could cause him and his assistant so much trouble.

The only reason that this could be a serious matter was because of the sponsorship.

In a Community, only members of the Council and their families could have family names, as they believed that only their families were worth noting in the first place. So everyone else were stripped off of their family names once they entered the Community.

Gavril, coming from the lower class, also had his family name removed the moment he entered the Community. However, since he was now part of the Council he needed to have a family name again, so now he had to choose from an existing family from the Council that would be his sponsor. He did not have to marry in, he would just have to register his new family name. In the end it was all just politics; having a Commander would strengthen the influence of a family.

Even if the final decision would come from Gavril, he still felt like a hot commodity up for auction.

"Neil," the new Commander addressed the assistant, "Even with the compromise of wearing the mask."

Neil straightened his glasses. He had served the Commander's office for almost a decade to the point that this kind of issue was already normal for him, especially during a party.

"Yes, Commander."

Gavril stood up. He breathed to calm himself. The emcee had been successful in handling the event outside, but he needed to be out there sooner or later. The stressful annoying situation had been making Gavril feel worse. His hands itched to put the mask on, he felt vulnerable without the piece of cloth that hid his face. Carla had reminded him of what he really was -an ugly creature pretending he could fit in. Like Carla, he knew that the people out there would find him hideous and without something to separate him from their glares, his anxiety just rose higher and higher.

He could walk down alone. The Council might disapprove and he might lose the support of some of the families, but who would agree to be seen with him without his mask in a party like this?

'Well, I can't please everyone.' Gavril thought deciding to face the music on his own.

That was when a knock suddenly came from the door.

The two gentleman instantly turned their attention to it. They were expecting everyone to be at the party downstairs.

The door slightly opened, from there a man peeked with only his head visible to the two men inside. This was Gavril's secretary, Dante.

"Sir, someone is here claiming that she would take Ms. Fargo's role tonight."

Neil furrowed his brows and slightly shook his head, "what madness are you spouting Dante. Take that woman... or man... away this instant!"

"I'm afraid I have to break this guy's arm then." A voice answered from behind the door, displeased with Neil's reaction.

Gavril looked up knowing exactly who that voice was. He sniffed a bit and could make out the scent of gunpowder in the air, now he was more certain than before. He smiled without even thinking about it. The moment he realized it, he pursed his lips to hide the smile, but he just could not. Neil might scold him again for smiling at this grave situation but he could not contain the relief he felt upon hearing her voice.