Chapter 9: The heart that believes in you

Sasha felt the cut of betrayal ran deeper when she learned that the order to stop her came from the Commander's office. Gavril was right to anticipate the rampage she would inflict upon seeing her brother in that state. It was so like him to think like that; it was not like him to not go down and not do it himself.

But five men. Five. She could not believe that her strength, already fueled by strong emotions, could be stopped by mere five men. She expected herself to be stronger than that. She took a mental note for herself; she would have to train harder after all this.

However, the heavy feeling of being weak was nothing compared to the biting feeling of being too late. So it was a good thing that Sasha arrived at the hospital to see Daniel sleeping peacefully. If it was otherwise, then the hospital might need the second squad to stop her again.

Daniel had his own room, but being in quarantine, he was not allowed to be in the same room as his visitors. Even if Sasha could see and talk to Daniel, the siblings were still separated by a clear thick bulletproof glass window.

Sasha wanted to touch him directly, to hold his hand and to be beside him on his bed, but all she could do now was helplessly stare inside.

Even though Daniel looked fine, Sasha still interpreted his condition to be fatal. Everything around him screamed 'he's dying' inside her head. Daniel's arm had a tube that was connected when they put him on a drip. The clean bandage around his head was neatly wrapped. She could not check his legs though, as they were obscured by the blanket on top of him. Nevertheless, she was glad when she saw that he was not breathing through a mask anymore. That did not totally calm her down but at least she would not attack anyone for now.

Doctor Rob, one of the doctors assigned to the troublesome recon squads, was beside Sasha when he explained her brother's condition: Daniel was in quarantine due to a viral infection in his wounds resulting to fever. They had little information of the virus, so for safety they needed to assume that it was contagious. He would be kept in quarantine for further observations.

"Let me go inside." Sasha said, as if she did not understand any of the doctor's words, "Whatever he has won't affect me, he is my brother!"

"Captain Sasha. That is the single most stupidest thing you've ever told me."

"Shut up Rob. You know as well as I do that I can easily break inside this room."

"Yes you could, but you know as well as I do that I could call the second recon squad or the security squads to make sure you are forbidden to enter the facility again."

Sasha bit her thumb. She could not take how powerless she was right now.

"Fine. Doctor Rob." The sound of defeat obvious in her words.

She leaned her head on the window. The smooth glass spread its cold touch all over her forehead. August just patted her back to console her. The slightest touch served to be a reminder of his existence because for a minute, she completely forgot August was there.

Sasha thought that he was probably feeling awful as well, not as awful as she was, but definitely bad. This was his best friend, and she knew that also seeing her like this was not very helpful for him to cope with the situation.

And yet, deep inside Sasha, there was a strange comfort in knowing that someone was worrying with her and worrying about her at the same time. That thought somehow cleared her mind and allowed her to attempt to calm herself down again.

"Please Doctor..." Sasha whispered, "help my brother." Her voice shook even if she tried her best to level it.

"We will do the best we can. I've known you two since you came in the Community riddled with all kinds of diseases that made me wonder why you two were even breathing. You two had been through a lot, but are still here and well, until now. Daniel won't disappoint you... and so do I." Doctor Rob had confidence in his voice. He might be just sounding professional, but that was the kind of voice Sasha wanted to believe in.