Chapter 18: When the heart came home

Neither knew where fate would lead them after that night. He, most of all, could not see anything else after that. He had no plans, and no forethought as to what direction he should take. If not for his best friend's discharge from the hospital, he might had stayed more at home. Although, he probably would just stare at the ceiling to think and let everything sink in.

But time was unforgiving, when the morning came they still had to face each other regardless whether he had made any thoughts about their situation or not.

He had to knock on her door again and smile like nothing happened.

August knew though, of course he knew, that something happened and the things that happened last night had changed the way they would be around each other. For better or for worse, he would know soon enough.

The door opened and it revealed Sasha still fresh from her workout. "Come in." She said quietly, leaving the door opened for him to enter.

August instantly felt it. The awkward atmosphere that embraced the silence in both of them. He started to look for anything he could say to her to change the mood. He did not like this a single bit.

Sasha headed to her room and he went straight to the kitchen.

"This is awkward... this is really awkward. Nice job last night, thank you for crying your heart out to your friend's older sister. Way to go August, you are the best!"

August talked to himself as he prepared breakfast. He was making omelettes today, even with a distracted mind he still managed to make them as fluffy and appetizing as ever. He started the coffee maker to brew the coffee and went on to arrange the food on the table.

Sasha then came in the kitchen.

The moment he noticed her at the corner of his eye, he instantly turned around. The memory of an earlier encounter had reminded him of Sasha's taste when it comes to dressing at home. After everything that happened, he had learned what to do.

"It's ok August."

August heard the soft screech of the chair as it was pulled out.

Sasha casually sat and admired the sight and smell of the breakfast he served.

"I'm fine. I can clean the pan first while you eat then I'll eat after you." August said, his eyes on the used pan in his hand.

The non-stick pan need no focused cleaning though, not a speck could be seen in the spotless pan. To his annoyance, he easily just ran water through it and he was already done.

"August, I said it's ok. You don't have to stare a hole through that pan."

August sighed, it would be rude to argue with the master of the house. So he turned around. He kept his chin close to his body with his eyes casted down. He looked at the floor, fixated on the strange patterns on it. He stretched out his hand and his fingers pulled out a chair. He sat on it.

All that time his eyes never went to the girl in front of him.

Sasha then stood up, August was being ridiculous again. She went to him and snapped her fingers under his head directly in the way of his line of sight. He saw it and knew of her demand for his attention.

"Up here." She ordered, her voice as cold as ever.

August looked up.

The sun peeked through the windows and casted the rays of the soft morning light on her pale locks; droplets of water formed and ran down her hair as they were still wet from her shower. She was wearing a plain peach sleeveless shirt. Not as form hugging as what she wore yesterday, but still attractive on her. Even the plainest of clothes looked attractive when worn by a beauty like her.