Chapter 10: The heart of a stranger

August shook his head, a smile played on his lips unbelieving what just happened. He answered back to Gavril and was still alive. Sure, he was crying through the whole ordeal, but the imagery of him talking to the Commander looked really cool inside his head.

With a tap of the teaspoon, August finished preparing the cup he was making for Sasha. He finally went out of the kitchen and into the living room where he saw the girl sitting on the sofa. She was still and silent, her lips parted and her eyes blankly staring at nothing.

Upon seeing her, it all went back to August. His tiny smile then faded. Just when he thought that the day would end with a small party for his new job at the recon's cafeteria, this had to happen. Daniel and Captain Borian were both in the hospital, both in quarantine, with Captain Borian sedated and currently in ICU. It was all too much to be taken in one day.

August breathed, his breath a little too audible than usual. With all his strength, he then put on a wider smile and a brave face. This was something that both of them needed right now.

"Here you go. A cup of hot choco with a dash of cinnamon." August said as he placed the cup on the table in front of her.

Sasha blinked, waking up from her deep thought. She glanced at the cup before looking at August.

August had to gesture for the cup. "Drink it before it gets cold."

Sasha wrapped her fingers gingerly around the cup. A gentle steam danced above it, it was warm but not too hot. Sasha brought it to her lips and blew gently, cautiously she sipped.

Sasha seemed surprised. "That taste... what was that?"

"I added cayenne as well." August answered with a slight wink, glad that Sasha caught that.

"Thank you, August."

Sasha continued to drink then.

"So..." August clasped his hands together, suddenly feeling awkward.

"You can just leave the cup on the table. I'll visit you in the morning and clean up." August said. Hearing himself speak like that felt like he was their personal maid, which he admittedly was.

"No. Stay." Sasha suddenly said, her puffy red eyes looking up from her cup.

Sasha then licked her lips, her grey eyes looking down, surprised with what she said.

"I meant to say... please stay for now. " she still could not look back at him, she knew her face was red, but it may as well be because of the warmth of her drink, "you can talk or whatever... then probably sleep in the sofa tonight."

"... but please stay." She ended her plea. Sasha then took another sip, too hastily that it almost burned her lips. She would not mind though, served it right for speaking that way.

The girl was troubled and it was evident on her face. Daniel was not here so it was only up to August to save her from this gloom, and August was more than willing to be her companion. He smiled with the thought that finally, she needed him.

August sat on the carpeted floor and placed his elbow on the table. He rested his cheek on his palm and looked at Sasha with a small kind smile.

"Do you want me to tell you about the time I attempted to hunt for food? God! That was the worst decision I've ever made in my life." He said with a lighthearted grumble.

Sasha continued to drink her hot chocolate. She looked at August as he filled the large quiet house with his tales of failure and embarrassments. Sasha occasionally rolled her eyes or snicker, but most of the time she would say how stupid August was and how she reminded him that she was judging him. August did not mind. He would gladly laugh at his own mistakes if it could help Sasha sleep tonight.