Chapter 6.1: And then his heart stopped

The kids threw rocks at him, with his hands covering his head. He kneeled and bent, while his back endured their abuse. He bit his lips hard so as to suppress the cry at the back of his throat.

"Hey! What the fuck are you doing!"

Relief washed over him when he recognized the voice of his brother. The young Gavril peeked between his fingers and saw the kids running away. He winced back into hiding though, because even as they dispersed they still continued to throw rocks and hurtful words at him.

Gavril finally stood up, there was blood oozing from the side of his head, trickling down to his chin, while his right eyelid was stretched into a swollen purple flesh. He felt a little dizzy as he stood, but he instantly straightened himself. Gavril looked at his older brother, while he stood tall with his arms crossed and his face disappointed.

"What the fuck happened?" He scolded Gavril.

Gavril looked down, "the usual."

Suddenly, Gavril's older brother punched him in the face. Gavril did not even dodge the attack, he just slightly stepped back due to the force.

"I told you to fucking defend yourself when they bully you, you little shithead!"

Gavril continued to look down, wincing with the words his older brother spat on his face.

His older brother then extended his hand, his preaching was already done. Gavril finally lifted his head and held his hand. Gavril pulled his lips, and smiled at his older brother.

"Don't worry. They will all die soon." His brother said. There was no trace of jest in his words for it was true that one could easily die in the world they lived in.

"Let's go." His older brother told him, "we still have packing to do."

Gavril nodded, "Un. Garo."

Gavril was born during the war in a family of soldiers, since both his parents and grandfather were in the army. Gavril was the middle child of three. His older brother was Garo, a very strong guy whose dream was to be a soldier and follow in his parents' footsteps. His younger sister was named April who died from a stray bullet.

Shortly after their youngest child died, their parents decided to send the children away to the country, to live with their grandparents. During that time, some of the small villages in the countryside were still safe from the wrath of war.

Gavril's grandfather was a veteran and he would tell them of stories of his battles. He also trained them; teaching them to shoot, to fight and to follow orders. His grandmother was a simple farm girl who helped in feeding soldiers based near them.

"Out of the night that covers me. Black as the pit from pole to pole," His grandmother's voice was soft and brittle as she spoke the words with emotions.

"I thank whatever gods may be, for my unconquerable soul." This was her grandmother's favorite poem and as such she always recited it to Gavril to sleep.

Gavril watched his grandmother from where he laid. He got hurt again today; he attempted to make friends with the kids from the neighborhood but as expected they all laughed upon seeing his face. They pushed him down to punch and kick him. He almost lost consciousness if not for Garo who arrived to save him. His grandfather decided that Gavril should not go out of the house anymore.

Gavril was never lonely though. He had his grandfather's rough army lessons and his grandmother's artistic words to keep him company. He also had Garo, and even though he too hurt him, Gavril still looked up to his brother.