Prologue: Ex-wife

A housewife would feel happy, on cloud nine, otherwise, for some of the few reasons like:

1. Some surprise dates from her husband.

2. If the husband comes home early.

3. If she did well in one of her hobbies or cooking sessions.

4. She is pregnant.

Once I noticed the black SUV, with my driver, Mr. Gills, seated on the driver's seat, I got into the back seat.

Mr. Gills is a middle-aged person, working for Anderson's since the December of 1996. His expressions are usually stoic, hiding all the emotions, and he pulls up a genteel smile when an occasion demands.

"Is that extra gleam in your eyes, I see?" Mr. Gills said with a neutral voice after sensing, a wide smile plastered on my lips along with an extra brightness in my eyes.

"Why yes, it is," I said, still smiling at a secret fact only I had knowledge about.

"The reason, may I ask?" He asked, with a little hesitancy in his voice whilst speeding through the streets of Manhattan.

"Oh...Don't hesitate, Gills. What if I say, there will be an over-protective mamma bear in our home soon?" I asked, fidgeting my fingers, anticipating a reaction from Gills.

"Do..Do you mean..?" he trailed carrying on, "Samuel will be a father?" The sentence ended with a soft whisper. There was a noticeable tinge of happiness in his voice.

"Guess, the papa will be often come home early from work." This provided answer to his trailed off question. Lately, Samuel had been distant and taciturn, not sharing the inner turmoil he felt. His prolonged working hours and early morning leaving were affecting our relationship.

Clearly, he is either hiding something or someone's bothering him.

He halted the car when red signal was displayed, and turned around with a beam in his brown eyes. His lips twitched up a little. "So, my boy is going to be a father soon?"

My smile widened, confirming the answer to his question.

"Thank you, Bridget. You don't know, how happy you have made me." He offered one of his rare smiles.

I laughed saying, "Well, I guess you should turn in front avoid accident, Gills."

He chuckled and turned around resuming the drive. Gills had been with Samuel, since, the latter was 6 years old. The adoration in Samuel's eyes was never gone unnoticed by me whenever he speaks about Gills. The rarest times Gills smiled, were all directly or indirectly connected with Samuel. In other words, they share a bond of a son and father.

After parking the car in garage, Gills paralyzed the engine and I got out of the car.

"Come on in, Gills."

"You go in miss. I guess Samuel's home already." He pointed Samuel's personal car, which was parked behind me using the index finger of his right hand.

"Did you think, I did not notice that already?"

"Well, the news is supposed to be revealed by wife to her husband, privately. So, why would you invite me in miss?"

"You know....I am anxious. What if Samuel isn't ready? Like, it's not even been a year from our marriage, and we both are still young for children." I made a point. I would completely understand if Samuel was not interested in having kids of his own. He was just 25 and I was 21 only.

"Kids these days whine about being young at 25 and 26, in order to become a parent. Well, I and most of my friends became fathers at 23 years of age." A chuckle left his lips. "I am sure Samuel will be delighted to hear the news, Bridget. Go in, and say the news happily."