Chemical Attraction Chapter 11

Chapter 11

For the first time in weeks, I woke up feeling well rested. I lazily sat up in bed and stretched, watching the golden late-morning sunshine stream in through my windows, illuminating the tiny dust particles that were swirling around.

There was a contented, bubbly feeling in my chest and a definite optimistic zing in the air. I hadn’t felt so good in a while; it was almost like I had started to accept the death of my family and could try to move on. I had finally turned a corner in my life, and a new, positive road stretched before me, if only I had the courage to continue walking down.

I strained hard to remember why I felt like this, and memories of last night suddenly came rushing back. My face coloured as I pictured how I had broken down in tears, and my stomach jumped around at the thought of him holding me and comforting me. Even in my anguish, being in his arms was the closest I had come to bliss.

I sighed dreamily and pushed my covers off, blushing even more as I saw how embarrassing my pyjamas were. They were my comfort ones, warm and soft, with a huge picture of Tweetie Pie on the front. All in all, they gave the impression of looking like jimjams that belonged to a three year old. ‘Great!’ I cringed. ‘Not only did you cry like a baby, Phoebe, you also looked like one.’

I ran my hands through my tangled mass of hair, trying to tease out the knots. I began to grow anxious, my stomach constantly clenching as my good mood rapidly evaporated. My chest grew tight and my breathing grew shallower, making me feel light-headed. Last night I had finally decided to trust him and showed him what a mess I truly was, crying incessantly in his arms, and now my insecurities were unleashed.

What if I had freaked him out so much that he would avoid me?

What if he broke his promise and left me alone?

What if he let me down?

My mind whirled with unanswered questions and I felt slightly sick. I couldn’t bear it if I lost someone else just as I was growing close to them. A desperate urge to see him filled my body, and I hurriedly scrambled out of bed, jumping quickly through the shower and then towelling myself dry vigorously. I needed to make sure I hadn’t ruined everything.

I dressed in a mad rush, hopping around the room as I determinedly tried to yank my leg into the right leg hole in my jeans. Suddenly, a soft knock on the door caught me by surprise and I froze for a moment, before losing my balance and crashing to the floor. Wild hope flared up inside me and I smiled in relief. Mr Cooper had come back!

“I’ll just be a sec,” I managed to call out, finally pulling my jeans on properly and fastening the buttons. I flew to the door and opened it eagerly, fumbling as I realised it was still unlocked from last night.

Disappointment flooded through me and my heart plummeted through my chest, sinking right down to my toes.

It was Alex Williams.

We had barely spoken since lunch on Monday and I had presumed that I was just a novelty to him, of passing interest as I was new. Evidently not. Any other time I would have been happy to see him, but right now I just wanted his clear, baby blue eyes to be replaced by ones of warm, rich brown, with light speckles of gold and darker flecks of chestnut.