Chemical Attraction Chapter 21

^^^ She's the best friend I've ever had in the whole wide world and frankly, she deserved this dedication a long time ago :) Thanks for supporting me and being truthful when it needed improving :P

Hey everyone :) I know you've been waiting for this chapter a while, sorry for the horrible cliffhanger before! Hope you enjoy it! Please vote and comment and fan if you haven't already! :D It means a lot to me so please don't be a silent reader!

I reached 500 fans so I'm starting a new chapter for Mr Cooper's POV again, so look out for that. I'm open for any suggestions of what chapter you'd like! Just post a comment below :)

Finally, I just started a new story called The Hunger Games Prequel! So for all you Hunger Games fans, I'd love it if you could check it out! I've been working really hard on it and I'm taking it seriously, even if it is just fan-fiction! :P Thanks! xx

VOTE! COMMENT! FAN!

Chapter 21

I sat down in the chair in front of the headmaster’s desk, my knees slightly trembling. Anxiety coiled in my stomach like a restless snake, the slithering sensation making me feel nauseous.

In my mind’s eye, I watched Mr Cooper stride away from me, with one final, regretful look back. There had been no anger in his gaze, just heart-wrenching compassion. Whatever happened now, it was clear to me that he honestly cared, even if he thought I no longer did.

“I expect you already know why I’ve called you here.”

The headmaster’s voice broke me out of my thoughts and I stared at him, trying to decipher his expression. It was unnervingly difficult.

“No, Sir.” I replied, spontaneously deciding to play innocent.

Mr Jackman’s forehead creased, his eyebrows pinching together at the bridge of his nose.

“I’ve just been informed of certain rumours that are currently circulating the school that directly concern you. Troubling rumours. And as the Headmaster of this school, it is my duty to investigate them.”

My stomach lurched and my hands clammed up as I felt my heart beat rapidly.

‘Keep calm!’ I chanted to myself.

“I don’t know anything a-about any rumours,” I stammered, praying that Mr Jackman could not hear the traces of panic in my voice. I tried to slow down my breathing but it was impossible.

Suddenly, I realised why I could not easily read his face. I had been searching for signs of suspicion, disappointment and anger, but all that showed was pity.

“The rumours are about your family, Phoebe.”

The words hit me like a bolt from the blue.

“M-my family?” I said, hardly believing my ears. My head was spinning in circles and my mouth fell open in shock.

“I’m sorry, I know it’s upsetting.” Mr Jackman soothed.

I finally registered that this wasn’t about Mr Cooper and I after all, and the relief came flooding through my body. I struggled to keep a smile from stretching across my face. Then I suddenly grasped the importance of what he’d said and I froze, the relief mingling with trepidation.

“W-what do you mean, about my family?”

Mr Jackman shifted uncomfortably in his seat. “Well, exactly that,” he said uneasily. “Everyone in school seems to be discussing exactly how your family died.”