Chemical Attraction Chapter 16

Chapter 16

As I slowly emerged from my deep slumber, a faint pattering crept into my awareness. Too sleepy to move, I snuggled deeper into my covers, covering my ears with my duvet to muffle the sound. Gradually, the noise grew louder until a harsh drumming was battering my eardrums. I grunted with annoyance; trying to sleep for longer was futile now.

Blearily, I half-opened my eyelids, wincing as the harsh, cold light flooded my eyes. Rain was splattering against my windowpane, casting blurry, abstract shadows on the white walls. Grey clouds rolled in the sky, billowing with the vicious wind that shook the trees outside, their branches twisting and tangling in the gale. I shivered at the sight. March was coming to an end, but the brightness and warmth of spring was held tantalisingly out of reach as the heavy April rains swept in.

I struggled to sit up in bed, confusion settling in as I became conscious of a warm arm wrapped around my body. Twisting around while lying down, I gasped in shock. Mr Cooper was asleep in my bed! I fumbled for my clock in a panic, sighing with relief as I realised it was not even 7 o’clock yet. No-one would be up on a Sunday at this hour- we were safe for now.

But why was he here?

I dimly recalled curling under the covers for warmth while he soothingly stroked my hair in comfort. I realised that we both must have unintentionally fallen asleep and my stomach quivered at the thought. I had only known him a week and yet look how close we had become. Being with him was so natural- easier and more sustaining than breathing.

I leaned my elbow on my pillow, cupping my chin in my palm as I watched him sleep. His golden-brown curls were in disarray, lying messy and tangled on my pillow. His mouth hung very slightly open, his pink lips looking soft and inviting. A warm tingle of excitement shot down my back as I thought of kissing him. If only…

His chest moved steadily up and down with his deep, slow breaths, and I noticed his shirt had slightly ridden up, revealing a glimpse of his flat stomach and a fine trail of hair from his belly button leading down below his trousers. Without thinking, I reached out and slowly traced the line of hairs, feeling how silky they were.

“What are you doing?”

I gulped. Hard. My stomach flipped over and my face grew hot. I snapped my head round to see that Mr Cooper had woken up and was staring at me with barely concealed amusement. I snatched my hand back as if his skin was burning to the touch.

“Ah, n-nothing!” I stammered, realising then with resignation that my flaming cheeks would give me away.

‘Congratulations, Phoebe,’ I thought with biting sarcasm. ‘You’ve managed to look like a right pervert.’

He slowly arched his eyebrows, fixing me with a penetrating stare that had me crawling out of bed in embarrassment, mumbling pathetically about needing the toilet.

As I shut the bathroom door, I smiled wryly. It seemed that this unlikely room with its white ceramic sink, shower and toilet was fast becoming my sanctuary. It was my haven- the place I could retreat to in my humiliation. As Mr Cooper’s low chuckle reached my ears, I figured that he had realised this too.