Chemical Attraction Chapter 15

Chapter 15

 Later that evening, I returned to my room, emotionally drained and in a quiet daze. Jo-Jo and I had spoken no more words, instead just sitting in quiet reflection, her embrace providing solace and comfort to me. I flopped down onto my bed, burying my face into my pillow. I longed for sleep and relaxation; so many things had happened today and I was struggling to keep pace.

With a groan, I remembered that Mr Cooper would be on his way to my room in just a few more hours, probably to tell me how much he regretted it all before abandoning me like some cheap toy with no feelings. My tears welled up again at the injustice of it. He had been the one who kissed me, yet I would be the one who suffered for it. Random phrases flitted around my head, his voice sounding cold and ominous.

‘We both know that we crossed the boundaries between student and teacher last night. And we both know that it cannot be allowed to happen again.’

‘Just friends, agreed?’

‘We need to talk about what just happened in there.’

I screamed in frustration, my pillow muffling the sound. Why had I let him kiss me? That kiss will have ruined everything. I pictured his facial expression when he was walking in for dinner this evening, the grimness and harshness confirming my earlier fears. I dug my nails into the pillow, trying to relieve my feelings of desperation and anger. Not succeeding, I sat up and pummelled the pillow with my fists instead until my muscles were screaming from exhaustion.

Trembling slightly from the exertion, I then picked up the pillow and hugged it, feeling strangely guilty.

“Sorry, pillow.” I mumbled pathetically.

I tried to pull myself together. Although the signs looked worrying, there was just as much chance he might succumb to the temptation, no matter how wrong he felt it to be. After all, he hadn’t done a very good job of resisting so far. I decided to think more optimistically, visualising the passion on his face before we kissed, the way he had held me tight, not wanting to let me go.

I sighed wistfully. Never had I ever experienced such an immediate and intense attraction to someone, and from Mr Cooper’s confusion over his strong sense of morality and his feelings towards me, it was clear to me that he had not either. We were both equally inexperienced in that sense; I doubted that either of us had dealt with forbidden relationships before. Was it even possible for it to work out?

‘It’s typically you, Phoebe,’ I scoffed in scorn. ‘As if your life wasn’t complicated enough. You had to go and throw in forbidden love too!’

I rolled my eyes at my idiocy and rolled over on my bed to check the time - 11:47pm.

I guessed he would be here in roughly three hours. Too keyed up to try and sleep, I whirled around my room, picking up any potentially embarrassing items and hiding them in the bathroom. I stuffed my favourite teddy bear under my bed and cleared up all the clutter on my desk.

Satisfied with my work, I glanced once more at the time - 11:52pm. Grunting in irritation, I tried to think of something time-consuming to while away the hours. I showered, washed and dried my hair and pulled on my least embarrassing pyjamas. Then, I curled up under my covers with my photo album, flicking through pictures of my family. I smiled fondly at one of them- Jamie being christened as a baby. He had been more preoccupied with trying to stick his finger up our vicar’s nose.