Chapter One

The Dumbledore household had never been so drearily silent.

            Albus sat at the dining table, a plate of scrambled eggs sitting, untouched, in front of him. He appeared drained of all energy, his arm on the table, holding up his head, his eyes downcast. Aberforth sat beside him, his eggs half gone, his legs crossed like a pretzel. They were dressed nicer than usual; white shirts, black trousers and dress shoes, their hair combed back.

            Kendra stepped into the room, her black hair in a bun and wearing a pretty, green dress. Ariana was at her side, a healing potion responsible for the disappearance of her bruises and cuts. She was wearing a white dress that cut off below her knees and her beloved brown boots, her hair pulled away from her surprisingly grave face.

            “Albus, Aberforth, eat your eggs,” Kendra said, sounding completely exhausted.

            “I’m not hungry,” Albus replied quietly.

            “Me neither,” Aberforth added, laying his fork down sadly.

            “You need to eat something,” Kendra said as she sat down at the table. “You’ll starve yourselves. And you don’t want to waste those perfectly good eggs.” Ariana sat down in the chair beside her and hugged her knees.

            Albus looked up from his plate at them. “Why isn’t Father telling them what happened?”

            “We’ve been through this, Albus,” Kendra said, her voice strained. “Your sister could be taken into custody by the Ministry as a threat to the Statute of Secrecy.”

            “What does that have to do with anything?” Albus demanded, “It isn’t as if they’d do anything to her! Those Muggle boys would get what they deserve, and Ariana—”

            “Ariana hasn’t been using any magic,” Kendra interrupted, “And you know how much magic children use at that age, whether they know it or not. I’ve been watching her, Albus. I think there’s something wrong.”

            Aberforth and Albus stared at her, disbelieving, before shifting their gazes to their sister, whose face was hidden in her skirts.

            Albus looked back to Kendra. “What could be wrong?”

            She sighed and shook her head, rubbing her temples comfortingly. “I don’t know.”

            “What are we going to do?”

            “I don’t know.”

            “Mother—”

            “Albus!” Kendra shouted, and both he and Aberforth jumped. Calming down, she said quietly, “I don’t know what we’re going to do. Your father and I will have to talk about it after the hearing today. Now eat your eggs. And no elbows on the table.”

            Albus looked down at his eggs again, straightened his posture and took his fork. Aberforth copied his actions and finished his own eggs quickly, slipping off his chair and moving to get his jacket. Kendra stood and followed him to help, leaving Ariana and Albus alone at the table.

            Feeling as though he was being watched, Albus looked up and met eyes with his sister. She’d always been so cheerful and lively, her eyes twinkling like their father’s. Now, her eyes had no twinkle. She never seemed to smile, and she barely spoke to anyone.

            “How are you feeling?” Albus asked, breaking the eerie silence.

            “Dreadful,” Ariana replied softly. “I had a nightmare last night.”