Chapter Thirteen

“Children,” Honoria whispered, still in shock—from being shouted at, from Ariana’s breakdown, from Kendra disappearing with her daughter in seconds. “Take my hands. I must get you home.”

            Aberforth stared at her uneasily. What’s happening to Ariana? What’s happening to Mum? What’s going on?

            Albus was first to give in and place his hand in hers, holding onto his cauldron in the other. Looking at Aberforth, he nodded, saying, “It’s alright, Ab. Just do it.”

            Hesitantly, Aberforth tightened his grip on his cauldron and took Honoria’s other hand. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes, and they were ripped from the bank and flung into the sickening sensations Apparation brought.

            Aberforth felt hard ground underneath his feet again. The house appeared before them, apparently just as peaceful as when they’d left it. A sudden feeling of relief spread through him, just when a bright light burst through the windows, and there was a very loud sound, like deathly bells ringing in his ear.

            He could vaguely hear Albus screaming something, though he couldn’t tell what it was. A look of sheer panic went over him, and he raced for the house. Honoria snatched him back, saying, “Don’t you dare go in there, boy! Your mother will have my head!”

            Albus ignored her, dropping his cauldron and slipping from her grasp. He practically threw himself at the door as the light got brighter and brighter, and the noise louder. When the door opened, a gust of air burst through it, blowing his hair back and nearly knocking him over. The light shined through the doorway, so bright that  Albus was nothing but a black figure against it. He disappeared into the house, Aberforth screaming for him.

            Aberforth tried to follow, lunging for the house, but Honoria caught him and held him close to her, with both hands, whispering in his ear, “You’ll only get yourself hurt! Just stay here!”

            The light only got brighter, and brighter, and the noise louder, until finally, there was one final flash of blinding brightness, and then it all stopped, as if nothing had ever happened.

            Honoria watched the house carefully, loosening her grip on Aberforth only slightly. “Take your brother’s cauldron. We’ll go in together.”

            Aberforth did as she said without question. He felt numb all over, with the need to know what had happened growing within him.

            They moved toward the house slowly. At the door, Honoria nudged it open and peered inside before she allowed Aberforth in. The parlor was a mess, with furniture thrown around and a vase that’d once held flowers shattered at their feet, the flowers and soil sticking to the wall beside them.

            There was a small noise coming from the living room, like a child crying. Aberforth slid his arm out of Honoria’s grip, putting down the two cauldrons, and stepped across the floor to see.

            Albus was standing just beyond the door into the living room. His hair was disheveled, his shirt only half tucked in, and his eyes wide. Across the room, huddled in the very corner, were Kendra and Ariana.

            Ariana sat in her mother’s arms, sobbing and shaking. Kendra cradled her daughter lovingly, her eyes closed, whispering reassurances and comforts. Ariana looked up and saw Aberforth standing there, watching them. The moment their eyes met, he rushed over, and she fell out of Kendra’s arms and into his.

            “It’s alright, Ariana,” he said softly.

            “No it isn’t!” she cried, “I nearly got everyone killed!”

            “But you didn’t, and that’s what matters.”

            “I’m so sorry! I’m so, so sorry!”

            “It’s alright. No one blames you. Everything is alright.”

            Aberforth was watching his mother as he comforted his sister. She’d locked eyes with someone behind them, and she was quickly getting angrier. “You.”

            “Kendra, dear, I’m so sorry. I had no idea any of that would happen!”

            “Get out.”

            “Kendra!”

            “You disobeyed my direct wishes, you betrayed my trust, and you endangered my children. Get out.”

            Aberforth looked over his shoulder at Honoria who, flustered as she was, didn’t seem willing to object any longer. She sighed and with a pop was gone.

            Albus and Kendra were still standing on opposite sides of the room when Ariana finally stopped crying, only to be held by Aberforth for a little while longer.