Chapter Eight

My dear brother and sister,                                                              September 3rd

            It’s been two days since my arrival at Hogwarts, and you’d never believe what it’s like here! The school is so much more magnificent than I ever expected it to be! And first years like me rode across the lake to get to it, and the reflection the castle gave off onto the water was truly a sight to see! I wish you two could’ve been there to see it. You’d have loved it just as I do!

            You’ll never believe it, but I’ve been sorted into Gryffindor! Me! No one expected it. I mean, after what happened with Father, everyone was saying how I’d be sorted into Slytherin. I could hear them all whispering it when my name was called. But I didn’t get sorted into Slytherin! I’m a Gryffindor, and I’ve never been happier!

            I’ve also made a friend here at Hogwarts. His name is Elphias Doge. He’s like me, an outcast, in a way. I met the poor bloke on the train, sitting alone. He’d contracted a bad case of dragon pox, you see. Mind you, he wasn’t contagious anymore, but he still had a sort of greenish hue to him. And of course, as you’d expect, nobody was willing to risk catching the pox by sitting near him.

            I did, though, and we’re friends now. He’s in Gryffindor, too! Isn’t it wonderful? Yesterday was the first day of classes, and Elphias and I were in all the same classes. I have a feeling I’m going to love this place.

            Send my love to Mother, Ab, and Ariana, I do hope you’re being a good little girl in my absence! I miss you all dearly and look forward to your letter back!

                                                                                                         Forever yours,

                                                                                                                Albus

Deerist Albus,                                                                               September 10th

            Abirforth wanted tu rite this leter tu yu but I told him I wanted tu du it! Momma is teeching me tu rite. Arent yu prowd ov me, Albus? I kan rite!

            Abirforth is triing tu tak the kwill pen frum me becuz he wants tu rite sumthing so I wil let him. Bi, Albus!

            Albus, we miss you so much! It’s only been a little over a week, and we’re already counting down the days until you come home for Christmas.

            Mother says she knew you’d get into Gryffindor. She says she was in Gryffindor when she was a student, and Father was, too, so it was “in-eh-vit-uh-bul.” Is that how you spell it? Mother is still teaching me spelling.

            Mother says she’s very glad that you like it there and that you’ve made friends. I’m glad, too! I just wish I could be there with you. I have to wait a few more years! I hate waiting! But oh well, I’ll be there in time, and then I can get sorted into Gryffindor, too!

                                                                                                                          Love,