Chapter Five

The days following Bathilda’s first visit went by quickly, with Kendra trying to make the children happy in their new home. Weeks went by, and none of the Dumbledore’s saw anything of their neighbor, other than a friendly wave when she was in her own backyard. Soon it’d been months since the move-in.

            The household changed greatly. Kendra lost interest in cleaning often, so toys lay across the floors and dishes sat in piles on the kitchen counter. The garden had grown beautifully, a rainbow of colors on the little plot of soil in the yard, and then died with the winter season, and grew back in the spring, lovely as ever.

            The summer following their move-in, Kendra invested in a pair of Alpine goats to bring the family more money; a male Cou Blanc and a female Cou Clair who were fed and cared for by the boys. The family was soon gifted with twin kids and buckets of milk from their mother.

            As the summer neared its end, Albus sat on the grass of their backyard, reading intently. He’d let his auburn hair grow out a little more, and his twinkling eyes scanned the pages curiously when a small ball of fuzz and feathers landed on the grass before him.

            He looked up and saw a very tiny owl with an envelope trapped in its beak.

            Albus blinked. “Is this for me, then?”

            The owl dropped the envelope in front of him, squeaking with a sort of nod, as if it’d understood him.

            Eyeing the owl carefully, Albus reached for the envelope and looked on the back. Sure enough, it was addressed to him, with a crest in the top right corner that he didn’t recognize.

            He had a sudden feeling he knew what the letter was, and turned the envelope over, tearing it open and pulling out the letter. It read:

HOGWARTS SCHOOL

of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY

Headmaster: Phineas Black

(Order of Merlin, First Class)

Dear Mr. Dumbledore,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.

Term begins on September 1st. We await your arrival by no later than July 31st.

Yours sincerely,

Hildegard Kettletoft

Deputy Headmistress

            Albus grinned widely and scrambled to his feet, shouting, “Mum! Mum!

            The backdoor opened, Kendra standing behind it, looking flustered. “What is it? What’s happened?”

            “I’ve got my letter!” he replied, racing towards her, having dropped his book to the grass. “I’ve got my letter from Hogwarts!” Behind him, he could hear the owl, tweeting patiently.

            “You did?” she asked, snatching the letter right out of his hands. Her eyes lit up as she read it. “Oh, this is wonderful! We must send a reply at once!”

            “We have to get to Diagon Alley!” Albus said, still holding the envelope, with the list of requirements inside. He pulled out the parchment and read, “‘First-years will require: 1. Three sets of plain work robes (black) 2. One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear 3. One pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar) 4. One winter cloak (black, with silver fastenings) Please note that all pupil’s clothes should carry name tags.’” He looked up from the parchment. “And there’s a whole list of books, Mum.”