Chapter Three

Their feet hit the ground lightly with a pop, and, without warning, they were bombarded by icy raindrops.

            Aberforth and Albus both gasped as the cold water hit them, putting their arms over their heads for cover. A cute, little house sat before them, surrounded by a white fence. The lawn was small and lush.

            The boys raced forward, bags in hand, in their attempt to be freed from the torrential downpour. Kendra followed closely behind, taking Ariana’s little hand in hers and dragging her along.

            “Mummy, can I stay outside for awhile?” Ariana asked, as Kendra pulled her through the gate.

            “Darling, it’s raining,” Kendra said, her arm up to cover her eyes from the rain.

            “I like the rain,” Ariana insisted.

            The boys, standing by the front door as they impatiently waited for it to be unlocked, stared at Ariana in awe. Kendra, not wanting to disappoint the girl, and in no mood for an argument, simply said, “You can go in the back for a little while, alright? But when I call you inside, you must come.”

            “Yes, Mummy,” the little girl said, and her hand slipped from Kendra’s grasp as she skipped off into the backyard, water splashing off the ground around her feet.

            “Come on, Mum!” Aberforth pleaded, “Let us in!”

            Without another word, Kendra quickly retrieved a key from underneath the doormat and unlocked the front door. The boys rushed inside, dripping water onto the wooden flooring. Their short time outside had drenched their hair so it stuck to their faces, and their clothes clung to their skin.

            “Help your mother unpack,” Kendra said as the boys started towards the staircase, “Then you can go upstairs.”

            The boys groaned, walking back to surround the bag. They stared into it, Albus saying, “But why do we have to help if you can just use magic?”

            “Because, I said so,” Kendra replied simply, taking out her wand. “Now stand over there and wait for me to give you something to do.”

            The empty house was filled within half an hour. The boys sat at the table in their new dining room while Kendra tinkered with paintings on the wall, trying to make them as straight as possible. Finally, she stepped back with a satisfied smile and looked at her sons. “Alright, you can go fight over your room now.”

            The boys didn’t hesitate; they burst from their seats and raced out of the room, Albus shouting, “First one there gets the window bed!”

            “That’s not fair!” Aberforth cried after him, “You’re faster than me!”

            Kendra rolled her eyes. “Boys will be boys,” she muttered, leaving the dining room and peering out the window that overlooked the backyard. Ariana sat, her legs crossed, on the grass by herself, staring at the clouds. Her hair and clothes were drenched, clinging to her. Kendra opened the window a crack and said, “Ariana, darling!”

            The girl looked over her shoulder. “Yes, Mummy?”

            “It’s time to come inside,” Kendra said, “You’ll catch a cold.”

            Ariana didn't move. She looked back to the clouds and said, "I don't want to."

            Kendra, becoming agitated, repeated, "It's time to come inside, Ariana."

            Finally, Ariana stood and skipped through the yard, towards the backdoor. Kendra moved to open it for her, saying, “I’ll get you a towel—”

            “That’s alright,” Ariana said, “I’d rather you make up the fire.” She plopped down before the fireplace and looked up at Kendra expectantly.

            The two boys were coming down the stairs again as Kendra had the fire going, Ariana waiting patiently, a puddle of rainwater growing around her on the floor. As the flames crackled, Kendra asked, “You’ve decided on your arrangements, then?”

            “Yes,” Albus replied, "I'm to have the window bed." He slowly stepped towards his sister. “Shouldn’t she have a towel?”

            “She said she didn’t want one,” Kendra replied exasperatedly, “If you boys can get her to take one, then great. Otherwise, just leave her be.”

            “Why don’t you want a towel, Ariana?” Aberforth asked curiously, brushing by Albus to sit beside her.

            She shrugged slightly, the little gesture making the others smile. “I just want the fire.” She was staring into the flames intently.

            Albus followed her gaze, seating himself on her other side. “You know, if you look closely, you can see shapes.”

            “In the fire?” Ariana asked incredulously.

            “Precisely,” Albus replied, “For instance, I see people dancing in the flames right now. What do you see, Ab?”

            Aberforth’s eyes narrowed as he concentrated. “I see fields of wheat, blowing in the in the breeze.”

            Albus stared at him. "Sometimes I forget your only seven." Then he looked to his sister. “And you, Ariana?” he asked curiously, “What do you see?”

            “I don’t see anything,” she said, sounding disappointed in herself. “I just see flames.”

            “I’ll help you,” Albus said, leaning closer to her and pointing to the fire. “You just have to really look. Don’t you see something?”

            Ariana squinted and got to her knees, leaning towards the fire, putting out her little hand. Albus and Aberforth each took an arm and pulled her back, Albus chuckling, "Not so close!"

            Kendra smiled sadly at the trio as they sat and talked. She moved around the room, pulling the curtains to cover the windows, locking the door, and finally retrieving a towel from the kitchen. Quietly, she stepped up behind Ariana and wrapped the towel around her little body. When she didn't object, Kendra kissed her head, then Aberforth’s, and then Albus’s, and moved to the dining table, where she sat down and watched her children through the doorway, a single, silent tear rolling over her cheek.