Glabella

(i accidentally published this unedited so i'm sorry....)

Leo eventually decided to go the night hungry, randomly insisting that it  was late and cold and we didn't have coats or anything. I went along with him, not questioning it because I decided that ignorance was bliss.

I just wanted to enjoy my moments outside of that hellhole... even if that meant freezing or starving to death in a dusty motel in Baltimore. At least I wouldn't die alone, I had Leo who was currently playing with a swiss army knife at the opposite side of the small couch.

"Are you sure you don't want any food?" I asked and he looked up at me through his thick curls, seemingly startled.

He smiled and tossed the knife to the side. "Nah, I'm fine. I'm not sure if you can sleep yet by the way... I am sure that when you get a concussion you're not supposed to go to sleep, though. "

I nodded and sat up, making the old springs creak as I pressed my back against the stained and patched arm rest. As if my body had decided for its own it wanted to be stubborn, I felt a wave of exhaustion wash over me so I blinked rapidly until it faded and I was left a bit dazed. Leo scooted a bit closer to me and the couch's groan of disapproval woke me up a bit more. My brain felt like it was pulled from the bottom of a honey pot and I closed my eyes for  a second to get myself together...

Leo placed a warm hand on my cheek and frowned, the skin over his glabella crinkling in what I noticed was concern. My heart did a small leap again... Every time he did things like this...

Crying for me... The blankets, the bandages... He'd rescued me which was his most caring feat so far.

Suddenly, I felt the urge to say something that I hadn't said since my older sister died. The words rested in the back of my throat like a lozenge that I couldn't swallow...

But I did. There was no way I could tell this boy I loved him. Especially because I knew very well I didn't. I was being an attention whore and I swore to myself in that moment that I wouldn't just hand myself over to just anyone who put a bandage on my head so I wouldn't die. After all, any decent human being would do that right?

... I moved Leo's hand and he blinked in confusion. I automatically felt guilty and my eyes cast down...

"I'm sorry, " I whispered and started to bite the inside of my cheek. "I didn't mean to..." I looked up from my lap and found myself in those beautiful chocolate pools again. Right now, they were watery and glistening in the flickering light of the room.

I felt angry. How dare  he? I decide there was no way I would let myself fall for him and the bastard hits me with the teary eyes... Goddamn it!

I felt my resolve crumble as Leo started to fiddle with his fingers while still keeping eye contact with me. "I uh..." I muttered as I stared.

"You what?" Leo asked and a smirk crept onto his face. He leaned towards me a bit and I felt his fingers connect with mine, he then grasped my entire hand in his and my cheeks burned.

"F-fuck you, " I stammered and let out a breathy chuckle. I clasped his hand tighter and then grabbed the other one. I couldn't say it loud, I just couldn't. I'd choke up and embarrass myself.

So... I did the next best thing.

I took one of my hands from his and ran a thumb lightly over his lips... I was going to kiss him for sure but I wanted to savor this moment.

We sat freezing under the flickering pale light of the room, the smell of Neosporin and adhesive in the air... he sucked in a small breath and attempted to look at my finger which was now skimming across his Adam's apple which bobbed as he swallowed. My other hand found it's way to his hair. They entangled in his brown locks and I twirled them around in my fingers.

His eyes had fluttered shut by now and I assumed he was appreciating the attention. I smiled to myself... and  closed the distance between us.