Faux Smile

Nico's Point of View

I turned away from the boy blowing chunks on himself. To be honest, I was worried about him. Rightfully so, of course; he came in comatose, whimpered several times in his sleep, threw up on himself, and now, he was crying. No shame, that one.

Eventually, his sobs came to an end. He stared blankly at the white was, his mouth formed in a thin line. After a few minutes of staring, he smiled slightly. It looked like the smiles the Joker gave. He slowly turned to look at me with his creepily, happy smile. He stared straight at me for a minute and I became uncomfortable under his gaze. I turned around.

I could now see why he was in this place. No one should have mood swings like that. You can't go from being ultimately depressed and nauseated to happy and bubbly.

" Hey! I'm Leo, who are you? " He asked. I could feel his stare. It was basically burning two holes through me.

I sighed. It had been so long since I heard such a happy and excitable voice... but I wasn't even going to waste my breath on this freak show. Now, I wished he hadn't have showed up. But still... I kinda wanted to turn around and answer him... or at least, finally, find out what color his eyes really were.

" Nico ." I said roughly. I surprised myself, though. It had been such a long time since I heard myself speak. Over that fairly long course of time, it had changed from the annoying squeakiness of when I was 13 to at least an octave deeper at 16.

Leo smiled, " Well, I guess we'll be room buds, now! " He shouted.

I glared at him, " Stop being so fucking happy about everything. "

Leo looked down and raised an eyebrow, " Well then..., " he said and laid his back against the wall.

As he did, I got my first glance at his eyes. They were distractingly beautiful. A caramel and chocolate brown color with a honey tone speckled around the pupil. I always had a thing for eyes... brown especially but I didn't know they could show so many things and be so damn easy to get lost in.

I noted the dark bags under his eyes and the shattered look in them. They hid a look of depression, guilt, and anxiety.  I could see right through that faux smile, as well. Apparently, LEO wasn't as happy as he appeared. But no way would I say anything about any of this. I can't let him even think I give a flying crap about him. Which I didn't.

I turned around and refrained from looking at him every 30 seconds. I told myself not to even invest in building an aquantinceship with him and fell asleep, reliving old nightmares.