Chapter 5: First Glimpse

"Lily Lupin? Is that you?" The man Fred called Hagrid asked. I nodded fervently. Hagrid shouted one last time for first years.

We all climbed into boats. I looked out over the waxing moon shinning brightly over the Black Lake. The Giant Squid throwing it's tentacles up high into the air and splashing them back down into the water.

I heards gasps and looked in the direction all of the others were looking, towards Hogwarts. It is such a beautiful image, my breath caught in my throat.

A light was shinning in every single window. Owls were flying all over the highest of the towers. The moonlight shinning over everything.

I cimbed out of the boat with some help from Hagrid. He led us to a woman in emerald green robes and a pointed witches hat, Professor McGonagall.

"The firs' years, Professor McGonagall," said Hagrid.

"Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here. Welcome to Hogwarts," Professor McGonagall started.

"The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory and spend free time in your house common room. The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards.

"While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rule-breaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the House Cup, a great honour. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours.

"The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting." Her eyes lingered for a moment on each student.

"I will return when we are ready for you. Please wait quietly." Said Professor McGonagall. Once she had returned she led us into the great hall.

As I walked between the two rows of tables I looked up at all of the candles, and the enchantment portraying the beautiful night sky on the ceiling. Then I looked around at all the students. I saw Fred and George wave to me from one table, Cedric from another. All three gave me encouraging smiles, the only things keeping me moving forward.

"When I call your name, you will put on the hat and sit on the stool to be sorted. First things first, our transfer student. Fifth year, Lupin, Lily." She said.

On shakey knees I walked up to the stool, sat, and McGonagall put the hat on my head. It fell over my eyes, blocking all the staring, waiting students.

"Ah! Cunning I see. But not enough. There's great knowledge and loyalty. But what's this I see? Just earlier this evening, going after that dementor, even though it scared you? Why not let Daddy come save the day, hmm?" The hat whispered in my head.

"Daddy can't take care of everything, all the time." I thought back.

"Well, I'll say the bravery in you is strong. Better be GRYFFINDOR!" The hat shouted. The Gryffindor table cheered loudest. Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw followed closely behind. I ran and sat between Fred and George.

"Hello boys." I said hugging them.

"Ello love!" Fred said.

"Good to have you here, Li!" George said, just as happy as they both hugged me back.

We watched the rest of the ceremony, cheering for all Gryffindors, clapping politely for all others. Then we ate dinner, and went to the common room.

"This day just keeps getting better and better." I whispered when the boys led me inside the portrait hole. The warm, crackling fire. The deep Gryffindor red and gold colors everywhere. Once I found my room on the fifth floor, I found my bed, pulled out my toliet kit, and completed my nightly routine.

As i plopped into my bed, I thought over everything that has happened today.

Today has set the scence for the best three years to come of my life, or so I thought.

********************
Fan. Vote. Comment!