Sara

Chapter 2

The sound of heavy breathing echoed in the large room.  Everywhere she looked were a series of mirrors, reflecting back at them, allowing her to see every angle of the man standing across from her.  She bounced on her feet, testing the padded floors beneath her, knowing that she'd have to give an extra burst of energy as she launched herself at him.  He grinned at her and just like that, she was in the air. 

He had expected the move, and as arrogant as he always was, he simply took a step to the side.  She spun her body mid jump and felt a resonating pain pulse up her leg when he blocked her move with his hands.  Using her momentum, he twirled with her, sending her into one of the many mirrors on the wall.  As she crashed into it, she thanked her lucky stars for the plastic shielding over the glass.  With her life as it was, she couldn't handle another seven years of bad luck.

"Ass," she hissed as she jumped to her feet before he could stomp on her.  Rolling her shoulders, she sent a glare towards him.

He simply smiled at her, showing a very nice set of sharp teeth.  "You hunted me down," he reminded as he began to circle her.  Before he could get behind her, she pressed her back to the wall.  Again, amusement flashed in his eyes.  "You're the only one who could find me."

"I don't even know what you are," she whispered, keeping her eyes on him.  She knew by fact that he could move so quickly that even she could barely see.  "And I didn't hunt you; I tripped over you during a run."

"Not many of us in America," he said with a shrug.  "It's too difficult to hide here."  He smiled again, this time, showing off completely white, completely straight, and completely normal teeth.  "And you don't taste as good."  When she grimaced, he chuckled.  "And you were hunting for me, whether you'll admit to it or not."

When her eyes narrowed on him, he simply shrugged.  "You don't know anything."

"Sara," he started while sending her a charming smile. When she hissed at him, he held his hands up in surrender before easing himself down on the padded floor.  Crossing his legs, he looked up at her innocently, but she wasn't fooled.  Still, she took his show of submission for what it was, a break from their sparring.  "When are you going to realize that you can't beat me?"

If he hadn't already ended their sparring, she would have sent a kick towards his head for the comment.  As it was, she eased down in front of him, but didn't keep the glare from her face.  "I can't accept that," she whispered, knowing without a doubt that he would hear her.  "But you can go whenever you want."

His face brightened at her words, but just as soon as that happiness flashed in his eyes, it diminished.  "You could have killed me when I slept.  The day you happened upon my body, you could have ripped my head off.  I owe you a debt of gratitude, whether either of us wants it.  And I need more from you before I leave."  He tilted his head to the side, listening for something that she couldn't quite hear yet.  "You have company," he whispered with a wink before he disappeared with a small popping noise.

A loud knock echoed on the training room's door, but as she took a deep breath to see who was on the other side, she frowned when she smelled nothing but her own sweat.  The person on the other side of the door had no scent.  Not even her sparring partner had left a scent behind.  She glared at the door once more, and before she had time to jump to her feet, it swung open.

Walking in without permission, the newcomer paused for a minute, sensing that something was here only moments ago, but not being able to tell what it was.  "What was that?"

"Hello to you too, Zeke," she mumbled as she rose to her feet slowly.  She stared at the man, watching as his eyes glowed slightly, but when he tried to knock down the walls protecting her thoughts, he couldn't.  "Stay out of my head," she growled before throwing a little bit of power towards him.  He winced as she did, and just as quickly as he entered her mind, he left.