Sara & Bryn

Chapter 11

Sara

Sara stared at the doorway, watching as Barron left with Bryn wrapped around his arm. Another small growl left her lips before she could hold it back.

"Don't you think, young lady, that you gave up the right to be jealous over him a long time ago?"

Sara glanced towards the only person still in the room with a small frown on her face, not recognizing who the older woman was or why she was there. "You have a point," Sara grumbled under her breath, not liking the knowledge in the blue eyes that stared back at her. Eyes that were familiar, eyes that belonged to the same person who hadn't left her thoughts from the first moment she met him, no matter how hard she tried to push him to the back of her mind. "You're his mom."

"Astute of you," the woman whispered as she slowly walked towards Sara. There was slight aggression in her graceful walk, and when she stood in front of Sara with her hand held out, she wasn't sure that making any contact with this woman would be a good idea. "Harper."

"Sara," she replied, finally giving in and shaking the older woman's hand. "It's nice to meet you."

The grip on her hand tightened momentarily before Harper released it. "Do you want to explain what had my normally peaceful daughter ready to claw your eyes out and feast on the leftover bits?"

"Daughter?"

This time, Harpers mouth turned up into a small smile. "They're twins, sweetie. No need to be jealous."

A sheepish grin fell onto her face as she shook her head. "I think I'll let Barron explain all the details. I'm beginning to think I don't know all of them myself," she whispered under her breath.

By the slight upward twitch to Harper's eyebrow, the woman had heard every word. "Well, I think I may join Ally and the rest on that run to the diner." When Sara didn't reply, Harper tilted her head to the side and let a small smile flow onto her face. Sara blinked seeing exactly where Barron had gotten some of his creepier expressions from. "And Hun, when my daughter warned you not to hurt my boy again, she didn't go into any details. I take that as her being raised with manners." She took a step closer to Sara. "If for some reason, y'all decide to forgive one another, I'll gladly welcome you into the family, but I promise you, if you hurt Barron again, not even your family would find your body."

With those words, Harper glided out of the room, leaving Sara standing there by herself, wondering what in the hell she had gotten herself into this time.

***Bryn***

"Are you going to tell me exactly what I saw?" Bryn asked, waiting for her brother to open his mouth, not that he would.

"Bryn—"

"Don't 'Bryn' me, Barron. I saw what happened, I saw why you did what you did that day, and I'm telling you right now, that if you don't start talking, I'll find answers on my own."

He sent her a half smile as he bumped her shoulder, and Bryn felt her heart clench at the sight. Her mom was right, Barron had changed. A year ago, she couldn't have gotten a fake smile out of him, but now, the small smile on his face reflected in his eyes, and for that alone, Bryn would be forever grateful for this place, for these people he surrounded himself with.

"Fine," she said with a sigh, "if you're not going to tell me, I'll just have to try to get answers out of that hunky Tony."

Barron's growl was low, but very much real. "If you want him to stay alive, I suggest you stay away from Tony."