Sara & Molly

Chapter 17

Sara

Sara curled her hands into fists and followed Barron out of the hotel room he planned on sharing with that woman. Molly. Sara repeated the name in her head, trying to make it stick. There was a Molly with them now. A woman who had fell into Barron's lap and shook Sara's life to the core.

"Which one are you in?" he asked gesturing towards the doors surrounding them.

Walking passed him, she drew her keycard from her pocket and swiped it in the door. When the light flashed green, she pushed the door open and walked in without turning the lights on. "Ward the room?"

"Yeah."

She looked towards him as the light flashed on. His eyes held the dead look he normally sported. That look hadn't been in his eyes earlier. Earlier, when Molly had been in the room, a light had filled Barron's eyes that she'd only briefly saw before. Her heart clenched as the reality of the situation hit her hard. The man who she was in love with loved someone else.

"You don't love me," Barron growled harshly. "You can't even stand getting close enough to touch me, Sara. Not after that day. You saw what I was and instead of accepting it, you pushed me away."

Her teeth ground together. "You were shooting fire at everyone. You let your magic take over."

"I'm tired of this shit," he said, his voice completely void of emotion. "I've never told you what happened that day because I didn't want to hurt someone I cared about, but Sara, it was your fault." He said the words in that monotone she had become to familiarize herself with. This was how he was with everyone. Everyone except Ally, her kids, and now Molly.

"How was it my fault?" she asked with a growl. "You were the one I was protecting them from."

He shook his head. "You went in too early. My sister had to pop in to grab you before you got hurt and instead of coming back to help, you ran."

"I ran for cover because of the fire," she denied. "You almost killed all the people we were trying to protect."

"I killed all the people who were firing at us," he hissed. "I can't have this conversation with you if you won't listen. My sister was a fox, yes, and she jumped in to save you because she thought I'd kill me if you died. Back then, maybe I would have been hurt. Back before you killed every piece of love I have for you."

"I didn't kill her," she denied, feeling her world swirl around her.

"No," Barron said with a sigh. "You're right. She made her own choices. Neither of us did anything to get her killed. She chose to go in there, and she wouldn't want either of us to feel the blame of her death." He paused. "But Sara, I won't have you harming Molly."

"She's a witch!"

"I don't care. And she's a healer. She would never harm someone else. Whatever hang up you have with them, you need to let it go. I'd like you to be here for this mission because Ally wanted it so, but you need to be an adult."

"An adult," she said with humor lacing her voice. Could he not hear how condescending he sounded? "I'm sorry if I'm being irrational, but your life isn't the only one that changed last night."

A hand touched her shoulder and she immediately jerked away. Barron shook his head at her. "I know things are going to be hard for you, and I'll try my best to keep things from getting uncomfortable, but nothing is going to change. She's my mate. I don't know if she even knows what that means yet, but she's it for me. She has been since Bryn hit her with the SUV."