Barron

Chapter 13

Laying down on his bed, he watched the whirling motion of the ceiling fan. Hell, who knew how long it was going to be until he slept in this bed again, away from prying eyes, away from the danger that lurked outside of the cabin compound. He hadn't lied to Owen when he told the kid that this thing out there was familiar. It would follow them, that he was sure of, but whether it would make its presence known was a mystery. Would it keep hiding in the shadows during their trip? Or would it attack as soon as they left town?

It was another one of those questions that Barron wasn't likely to get an answer to. Rolling over onto his stomach, he glared at his bedroom door. "I can hear you breathing," he growled, annoyed that his last couple of hours before sleep were being interrupted. This was the time he was truly alone, when he could think and be who he wanted without worrying about how the others would react.

"Come in," he said with a sigh as he sat up on his bed.

The door slid open as a dark figure stepped into Barron's room. Silence filled the area until the door eased shut behind the man. "You aren't fond of clothing, are you?" Namir asked with a wide grin that showed off too many teeth.

"You're lucky I'm still wearing the shorts."

A small shocked laugh left Namir as he shook his head at Barron. "However will you deal with your travels if you must stay clothed?"

"A leopard has spots," he said as he crossed his legs on his bed. "We don't need clothing. Quit with the small talk, Namir, I have an early day tomorrow."

"You're leaving." Barron nodded in affirmation. "With this thing out there, do you honestly believe this is the best time to go?"

Barron let out a frustrated growl. "I would never leave if I thought my actions would put Ally in danger."

Namir shook his head, a sad expression clouding his eyes. "You still don't get it, do you? You think running off halfcocked is a good idea, because what? You think this thing will follow." Shock flew through him briefly, but it was long enough to turn Namir's sadness to satisfaction. "I knew I was right. Dammit, when are you going to realize that you dying would kill Alexandria."

"She would be fine."

It was Namir's turn to growl in frustration. "Did you forget about Blake? It nearly broke her. Oh, she'll pretend like it didn't, like she stayed strong throughout the whole thing, but I saw her memories. She doesn't need to go through another death, and I'll be damned if I let you kill yourself."

"You're here to protect her."

"And by protecting all those that she loves, I am protecting her."

They stared at each other, neither willing to back down an inch. Barron could feel the challenge rise in the room. The need to shift escalated as Namir's stance became more tense. "You can't leave her again."

Namir took the insult with a wince. "Zeke is coming back, all the guards have been vetted, and she has Slator now."

"What the hell does that boy have to do with whether or not she'll be safe."

"Don't act stupid," Namir said with a blank face. "You and I both know who he is, even if no one else is willing to admit the obvious." He paused for a moment. "And I asked Zeke's mother. She wouldn't tell me anything that would change the future, but us leaving won't do any harm here. You're right about one thing, that thing out there that killed your dad just wants you."

Anger coursed through him, as he jumped from his bed and advanced towards Namir. The man stepped back with his right foot, putting his body in a fighting stance. Red eyes flashed, and Barron could feel his teeth becoming as sharp as Namir's already were, but before Barron could take another step forward, a knock sounded on his door.