Sara

Chapter 7

Sara tapped her heels against the foot of the bed and tried to do the one thing she'd never been good at; being patient.  Her teeth bit into her bottom lip, and she crossed her arms over her stomach, hoping that someone would knock on her door soon.  She hated this, hated the feeling of not belonging somewhere, and the longer she lay on this bed in a room that wasn't hers, the more she remembered just how much she didn't fit in with Ally's happy little band of shifters.

With a sigh that was so loud, she was sure the entire cabin heard, she flipped over onto her stomach and stared at the door, trying her best to conjure up someone, but luckily for them and unluckily for her, that power belonged to someone else she knew.

"What are you pouting about?"

Her reflexes kicked in, and before her mind recognized the voice, her hand had already yanked the alarm clock off the nightstand beside her.  As it went sailing in the air, she winced, hoping that she'd miss her mark.

Namir caught it easily in his grip with a slight smile on his face.  "I forget that you shifters aren't quite used to being surprised."

"Us shifters?" she grumbled under her breath while sitting up on the bed. "What does that make you?"

"Ally's guardian." He answered quickly, and before she could open her mouth again, he shook his head. "Sorry, but anything more than that will have to wait."  He sighed, looking towards the door with an expression she recognized, mainly because it was on her face too.

"Waiting on someone?"

He began to shake his head, but froze before nodding.  "Yes.  I'm waiting on Ally's anger to subside so she'll let me back in the room with her."

Laughter fell from her lips before she could hold it back, and by the slightly narrowing of Namir's eyes, the man didn't quite appreciate her amusement.  "Why don't you just poof in on her?"

"She gave me a direct order to leave the room, and until she gives me permission to enter again, I have to stay out."  He took a step back, leaning against the wall next to the door.  "I think I'd be better off waiting until she left the room."

Another laugh slipped out, but this time, Namir smiled along.  "She does have a slight stubborn streak in her.  What'd you do and who'd you do it to?"

He raised an eyebrow at her.  "How do you know it wasn't her I offended?"

She waved off his question.  "Oh, I know you offended her, but if you would have said something bad about her, she wouldn't be pissed.  You must have messed with one of her people."

"I taunted one of them."  He stared at her, studying her a little too closely for Sara's liking.  "It was Barron."

She stiffened as a small growl vibrated her throat. "Leave him alone, Namir, or you'll regret it."

"Are you going to do something, Sara?"

A knock on the door saved her from having to answer, but by the expression on Namir's face before he popped out of the room, she knew he already had an answer.  "Coming!" she called out as she jumped to her feet.  The closer she got, the more nervous she became. She already knew that Ally was up to her matchmaking ways, but she prayed that the person on the other side wasn't Barron, not when she her emotions were so close to the surface.

She eased the door opened, and let out the breath she hadn't known she was holding when she met blue eyes that weren't the one's that flashed in her dreams.  "Hey, Ned."

"I'm your tour guide for the day," he said with a small chuckle.  Something behind him growled.  "I meant, we are your tour guides."  The growling continued.