Barron

Chapter 16

They weren't the most romantic words Barron had ever said, but hell, the woman was supposed to be fully clothed after her shift. With a growl, he turned to make Namir leave, but only found two sets of clothing sitting where the man once was.

Snatching his hands away from the woman, he jumped to his feet, ignoring the water that slouched over the side of the tub. With his back to her, he held out a set of sweats. "Here. There should be a towel on the rack beside you."

"Sorry," she mumbled, embarrassment clear in her voice. "Do really torn clothing make it through the shift, because I completely forgot the lion who had torn them."

He heard the lightness in the woman's voice, and tried to control the growl that rumbled his chest. He failed. "Did you recognize this man?" Because Barron was going to kill him.

"Nope," she answered as she snatched the clothes from his hands and stepped from the tub. He turned further, before noticing a mirror directly in front of him. Snapping his eyes closed, he gritted his teeth. "But his name was Joseph."

"Great," he mumbled distractedly. "Joseph."

"Okay. I'm done."

He turned, almost bumping into her. Her wet hair lay plastered to her face as she stared at him with amused brown eyes. It looked like one thing hadn't changed in the shift. "Any shifter blood?"

"None," she answered with a smile. "I'm Molly."

"Barron."

"I got that."

Silence that should have been awkward but wasn't surrounded them. She still had that amused look in her eyes and the wide smile on her face. "You want to me step out so you can change?"

No, he didn't. He wanted to keep her in reaching distance to make sure she was okay. "If you wouldn't mind. Just stay near Namir. Whatever he says, he's a good guy."

She nodded before exiting the room. As fast as he could, Barron stripped down, toweled off and slipped the shirt and sweats on. It had maybe taken him two minutes, but when he stepped into the room, he felt like it had taken forever.

Molly sat at the little dining area, shoving a cheeseburger in her mouth while Sara glared at her from the other side, slowly chewing on a fry.

"So," Bryn started as she snagged one of Molly's fries with a smile. "I like her."

Her cheeks full of food, Molly sent his sister a bright closed mouth smile.

"I don't," Sara mumbled making that smile drop. Barron growled, and Sara threw up her hands in frustration. "Just because she walks in all cheerful doesn't mean we should trust her. Where did she come from, who had her, and if someone really did kidnap her, how comes she's so damn happy."

Someone sighed from the bed, and Barron soon realized the noise had come from Owen. "Can't you just accept the fact that you're jealous and move on."

Molly choked on her burger. Barron rushed towards her before she waved him off. "I'm good. Just swallowed wrong." Setting the burger down, she glanced at Sara. "Look, I honestly don't know what your problem is. I've been through a hell of a year. I fought every second I possibly could, and I'm tired. I'm sorry that you weren't raised to look on the bright side, but I was. Nothing and no one will keep be down for long."

"She's light," Bryn whispered to him even though everyone in the room could hear her.

Sara ignored the words as she jumped from the table. "That doesn't tell me anything. Who are you? Where did you come from? Why didn't you get out sooner? And why aren't you leaving?"