Chapter 4

“I can’t believe that Harry came in with blood all over him!” Hermione huffed for about the fifth time as she, Kamrynn, Ron, and myself took up space on the common room couch. I had rolled my eyes. We had been over this. It was his own blood, seemed like he had a nose bleed or something close to that. He was made to see Madam Pomfrey before he could join us.

“We all saw, Hermione. You don’t need to keep saying it over and over,” Kamrynn huffed herself from the armchair. “He said that he would fill us in on what happened when he comes back. Just take a chill pill.”

Ron and I exchanged looks from beside each other. Hermione had taken a seat on the floor on the other side of the table. We were trying not to laugh at how they were always back and forth like that. They were always snippy with each other. I knew why, but Ron was oblivious, as always. I just shook my head as I looked over at Kamrynn, who had changed her position in the chair from sitting to laying across the seat with her head on one arm and her legs dangling over the other. She was so cute.

“So,” Ron said, changing the subject. “How did the lunch go with that new Professor?”

“It was so boring!” Kamrynn groaned from the chair. “I don’t think I’ll be going to another one. All he did was ask us questions about our parents and siblings. As if I wanted to tell him anything!”

I laughed and agreed with her. “It was exactly like Kam said. Only, he didn’t get around to asking Hermione or me any questions. I guess we were the lucky ones.”

“I bet we’ll be asked to share the next time, Court. So don’t count us lucky just yet,” Hermione smirked at me. I just shrugged. It’s not like it mattered anyway. I was on the same page as Kamrynn: I was not going to another one.

“I’m glad I wasn’t invited,” Ron chuckled. “Sounds like it’s not the popular thing anyway.”

“Definitely not!” Kamrynn called out with her eyes on the ceiling. “You know, the ceiling is prettily decorated. I’ve never noticed that before. Have any of you?”

We all exchanged glances before Ron spoke up: “I don’t think we ever look at the ceiling, Kam.”

“Harry!” Hermione exclaimed happily as he strolled through the portrait hole. “We were beginning to get worried about you.”

“She was. We wouldn’t have worried unless we saw a blood trail to your room in the middle of the night,” Kamrynn smiled as she sat up to us just staring at her. “What?” she shrugged. “It was just a joke.”

“A rather bad joke. Don’t you have any sense of humor at all?” Hermione glared at her.

“What happened anyway mate?” Ron asked Harry, changing the subject.

He shrugged. “Nothing that important,” he said with a glance at both Kamrynn and me. “You don’t need to worry about it. Trust me.”

“Well,” I said standing, knowing that Harry didn’t want to say anything in front of Kamrynn and me. “Let’s head up to the dorms, Kam, and find out who we’re rooming with. It’s better than not being wanted,” I boldly stated as I grabbed Kamrynn’s hand and dragged her towards the steps that led up to the girls’ dorms.

“Wait!” called Ron. “You two don’t have to leave. I’m sure he didn’t mean anything by it. You two our closest friends; we can trust you guys. Right, Harry? Hermione?”

“Well…” Hermione said, not looking at anyone. “Perhaps they shouldn’t be here.”

I rolled my eyes. “Whatever. Let’s go, Kam.”

We ran up the steps and over to the board by the window at the top. It had the list of room mates spellotaped to it. The first years had six to a room. The second years had four to a room. The fourth and fifth years had three to a room. The sixth and seventh years had two to a room. I’ve always roomed with Kamrynn and Hermione. Perhaps this year it will just be Kam and me. I hoped that it was. I was getting a little tired of Hermione’s attitude towards Kam when it involved anything remotely important. Just like that night. Perhaps they shouldn’t be here. What a bitch she was turning into! I swear.