Chapter 20

Draco’s POV

“You are not trying hard enough!” Snape yelled at me. “Again!”

I was panting hard on the floor. I had not been worked so hard in my whole life. I was too weak to continue. I could barely stand. I had to hold on to the edge of his desk just to stay upright. I had managed to keep him out this whole time, but I couldn’t do it anymore that session. It was ridiculous. We were only in our second week of training. I didn’t think things would get this bad!

“Legilimens!” he yelled.

I was so unprepared that time, so he managed to break through. Images of Courtney went through my mind. I had to watch her get asked to Slughorn’s Party by a lot of guys this week. Of course she said no to everyone. Rumor has it that she did say yes to one, and that would be Harry Fucking Potter. She’s probably just doing it to get under my skin no doubt. Well, she’s succeeded. I haven’t even had time to validate the dam rumor though, but the thought just burns me up.

“What are you doing, Draco?” Snape snapped as the images of Courtney faded and his ugly face came into view. “You didn’t even try to stop me.”

“Well, I was unprepared that time,” I snapped back.

He rolled his eyes. “The Dark Lord will attack when you’re the least prepared, Draco. You have to be ready  at all times, even when you’re at your weakest. Do you understand me?”

I nodded because I really did understand. Not that he gave me much time to answer because he screamed ‘Again!’ and images of my mother handing me a small bottle of poison with a faint smile on her lips came into view. No one knows that my mother gave me that, but now Snape does. The images went on to show me eavesdropping on Slughorn bragging about having gotten Dumbledore a bottle of mead for Christmas. 

“Draco!” Snape yelled, his face coming back into view and stuck it right up in mine. “You are playing with fire here. You’re half hearted attempts at your mission are getting on my wits end. I just want to know if you’re actually taking this mission seriously. Are you?”

“Yes!” I shouted. “As soon as that damn cupboard is fixed, it’ll be a lot more serious. I just know that I have to at least give some things a shot before that even if they won’t work.”

He nodded, which surprised me. “Are you sure that’ll be done soon?”

“I can’t promise anything. So far, I’ve figured out what was wrong. Getting it done is much more of a challenge that I thought it would be, but it’ll be done before the end of the year. I can promise that much.”

I know that I had just lied to Snape. I felt guilty about it, but what else was I supposed to do? I hadn’t even figured out how to fix that damn cupboard. It’s just too damn hard. I needed some help, but what was I supposed to do? I just couldn’t ask for help without telling them why. I mean, come on even I’m not stupid enough not to ask why. I just couldn’t think of someone though. Granger could figure it out no problem, but I would never stoop so low. Besides, she would never ever in a million years help me do something, and I don’t want to anger her again. One broken nose is just fine with me.

“That’s enough for tonight. Come back next Saturday same time. Practice this week. I’ll be able to tell,” he said, waving me towards the door.

As I walked down the hall, my mind went back to help. Crabbe and Goyle were too stupid. Blaise was too distracted. Courtney hated me. Although, I bet that she would help me if we were still together. She’s intelligent and could probably figure it out faster than I could. Still, she hated me. There was nowhere else to turn.

“Draco Malfoy,” called a voice I didn’t recognize. “What are you doing wondering the halls at this time of night?”

I looked and saw McLaggin. What business was it of his, anyway? I mean, he was a Gryffindor who was down in the dungeons at such a late hour. I was a prefect. I could actually write him up for it too, but I didn’t feel like it. I walked right past him before I thought of something. I had polyjuice potion still left over from the batch I had made for Crabbe and Goyle. McLaggin was in with Slughorn, so I could easily get into his office from there.

“McLaggin,” I called, walking back to him. “You planning on attending Slughorn’s party tomorrow night?”

He nodded. “Sure am. Taking Hermione as well. She’s just a peach, you know?”

I raised an eyebrow at him. “I wouldn’t know. Thanks anyway,” I said, walking in the way I had came from.

I was going to go back to my dorm and hit the sack, but McLaggin had given me an idea. Was I supposed to let it go to waste? I think not. Just because he didn’t work out, didn’t mean there weren’t others that were attending as well. I mean, I could’ve used him, but I was not sporting a mudblood on my arm all night. That would be a little too much. I ended up finding a random Gryffindor who admitted he was attending, but with no date. Perfect.

“Mate, get up,” Blaise said, throwing a pillow at me.

He moaned and rolled over. It was way too early to get up, especially for a Saturday. I looked at the clock, and it said one o’clock. Man, I had slept way too long. I got out of bed and changed quickly before heading out of the common room. I literally ran into someone on my way into the Great Hall to get something to eat, but when I saw who it was, my appetite was gone.

“I’m sorry,” I apologized right away.

She nodded. “Good to know.”

“Courtney,” I called after her and she spun to face me. “Are you really going with Potter to that party tonight?”

She sighed. “I don’t see how it’s any business of yours, but yes. I am.”

“Why?” I found myself asking, searching her eyes for the answer.

“If someone would just be real with me for just five minutes, I might be attending this party with him. So, I’m going with Harry instead. He’s been nicer to me than some people have been these past few weeks,” she said, just wanting her words to sting.

I looked down to the stone floor, her words succeeding. “I’m sorry. For everything. Hopefully in time, I will be able to tell you what’s going on, but until then, just know that-“

“I don’t need to know anything, especially if the facts are coming from you. If you’re sure you’re sorry, then come and find me when you feel like it. Isn’t that what you said you’d do anyway?” she then turned, her golden blonde hair flinging behind her.

I couldn’t help but watch her walk away. She was taking my heart away with her. I wanted to tell her everything, to be real with her like she said, but it wasn’t all that easy. She was my only one, the only one that I wanted to be with. I loved her so much, but I couldn’t make her feel it without telling her. Finding those perfect words weren’t easy though. When the time comes to tell her everything, that’ll be the hardest thing I ever have to do. I hope it doesn’t take too much longer. I want to be beside her so bad. The mess that I had made was so not going to clean itself up.

A/N: Hey! I know what you're thinking: 'Draco's POV already?' but I just couldn't help myself. it seemed like the perfect way to introduce who Courtney was going with and how it affected him. So, yeah! i hope you like this update. I'm trying to get this updated at least once a week. I have loads of homework and work to get finished. So, bear with me. I should be able to post plenty for Thaksgiving break, which is about two months or so away. I should be able to make up for all those times that I didn't post. But anywho. Vote and comment! Thanks to everyone who reads this story. I love it and I hope everyone else does as well. :)