Chapter 24

Christmas morning I could barely bring myself to get out of bed, but I did because it was expected of me. Dad would’ve surely thrown a fit if I wasn’t down the stairs and dressed for breakfast. Mom wouldn’t have cared as long as I had made it down in time for gift giving. I didn’t want trouble on either side, so I got up, ran my fingers through my long hair, threw on a red sweater with black jeans, and headed down the stairs. I knew breakfast was almost ready because the smell of eggs had made its way up the stairs and made my stomach rumble on the way down.  

“Happy Christmas,” I smiled at mom and Adeline when I saw them sitting at the table. “Where’s dad?” I asked, noticing that he wasn’t in his usual spot at the head of the table.

She shrugged. “He said that he needed to help Lucius out with the party, so he left early. He said that he would be back by one so we can open presents beforehand. So, don’t worry. At least Adeline and I are here to spend the day with.”

I nodded and started shoveling those delicious smelling eggs into my watering mouth. The day went by rather slowly as mom and I caught up. It was rather nice to have her all to myself. That is until Marcus and Alex came over with Sophie. I was surprised to see how big she had gotten. Her red curls were framing her face nicely and bringing out her bright blue eyes perfectly. She was so beautiful, just like her mom who she looked exactly like. Marcus took after our father with dark black hair and dull brown eyes.

“How’s Hogwarts going, sis?” Marcus asked when mom drug Alex into the kitchen to do some baking. “I know sixth year was one of my craziest years there.”

I nodded. “It’s crazy alright.”

He smirked to himself. “I remember all the sneaking out to see Alex. It was before I knew that I was in love with her. We were just having fun back then, but I guess love hits you when you least expect it. Huh, sis?”

“What do you mean?” I asked, my cheeks becoming flushed.

“I can tell that something is different about you. So,” he smiled. “Who’s the unlucky bloke? Do I know that guy? That would be so hilarious if it’s Draco. Malfoy was always one I pegged as having a thing for you.”

I looked away from him. “Yeah, that would be just so funny.”

“I’m right, aren’t I? You’re falling for Malfoy, which is just so typical. The neighbors falling for each other?  You’re literally the girl next door, you know that?” He laughed. “It’s so clichéd, don’t you think?”

My face became even redder. “I guess so.”

I was glad when the door opened, and dad came inside. It was the first time that holiday that I was glad that he had showed up. My father and I, as you could tell, had a love hate relationship. We never really saw eye to eye, but he and Marcus definitely did. So, his attention flitted to dad pretty quick. I just really wanted to get the holiday over and done with. I was getting annoyed pretty quickly, which wasn’t usually me. Usually, I wanted to float around and catch up with everyone, but I still had so much on my mind. I needed to just think some more, but mom and dad both think that I’ve spent too much time alone that vacation, which is probably why mom and dad got me a new formal dress even though I had plenty of them up in my closet already. This one was different though. It was black, unlike any of my other ones that were either red or pink. It was definitely a signal that they wanted me to attend that party. Draco’s words were running through my head. Why didn’t he want me at the party?

“Do you like it, sweetie?” mom asked.

I looked up to see all eyes were on me. I nodded quickly. I really did like it, but I was afraid that I wasn’t going to be able to wear it. If Draco didn’t want me there, than why should I even go? It wouldn’t be worth it if the guy I loved didn’t want me there. The only reason I could come up with was that he wanted to flirt other girls without me there.

I sighed. “It’s beautiful,” I whispered.

“Then why are you upset?” Alex asked, placing her hand on my arm.

I shrugged. “I don’t feel well. May I be excused?” I asked, and my mother nodded.

I retreated back to my bed, the only place where I felt at peace in my own house. The snow drifting outside the window wasn’t a great distraction from my thoughts. I tried to hard not to think about Draco and what I was going to do now that I knew the truth. My brain was so full that I couldn’t even sleep as a means of escape because every time I closed my eyes, I saw him.

“Courtney?” my mom called as she came into my room. I heard the door close behind her before she sat down on the bed to talk to me. “Tell me what’s wrong. I can tell that you’re hurting, and I can’t stand it anymore. Does Draco have anything to do with it?”

I sighed. “I love him, mom.”

“I figured as much,” she smiled and stroked my hair. “What happened? I’m sure that it was just a big misunderstanding. Most things are.”

I shook my head. “It’s not. I know something about him that he doesn’t want to share with me yet. I just don’t know whether or not I should question him about it. It’s just so hard to even know what he’s even thinking because he’s distancing himself away from me. He even told me not to come to the party tonight.”

“No wonder why you were upset when you opened your new dress,” she sighed as I nodded. “Well,” she smiled and got up off the bed. “There’s only one thing that you can do.”

I sat up and watched her go into my closet and pull the black dress out. “What is that?”

“That would be to go to the party. It’s a tad bit late now. That party’s been going on for almost an hour now. Dinner hasn’t been served yet, but it’s about to be. You’ll just make a grand entrance and be the most beautiful girl there,” she smirked and held the dress out. “What do you say?”

I smirked as well. “I guess you’re right.”

She helped me get dressed and did my make-up. In less than twenty minutes, I was ready to go. I had to agree that I did look beautiful when she told me so. I smiled as I walked out the door. I had decided not to have mom apperate me. It was right up the hill, and I didn’t feel like getting sick in the dress. All the way up the hill, all I could think was how Draco would be so happy to see me. It was really something to think that, and it didn’t even happen the way that I had planned out in my head. First, I was going to walk through the door, every head turned to me, every eye was one me. All the guys swooned and were jealous as hell when I approached Draco. We kissed and everyone applauded. Everyone supported our love when Draco was so quick to hide it from the world.

Time seemed to slow in the minutes that I walked through the gates and up the stairs. I opened the doors slowly and deliberately. A house elf let me know that everyone was getting ready to sit down to dinner. With every footstep, my heart beat quickened. Every bit of me was filled with nervous excitement. It was finally time that Draco and I came out of the closet and into the sunlight, where I knew everything would be alright. I opened the door slightly and heard Lucius speaking, rather loudly as well, as if he was giving a speech. I paused and left my hands on the door and listened.

“I am pleased to announce that we, Malfoys, have been very fortunate this year. We have come through almost every obstacle that has come our way, and now we have crossed paths with another great wizarding family, the Greengrasses.  Howard and Melanie are very delightful people and their daughter, Astoria, has been gifted with the same delight that her parents share,” there was a pause, and I opened the door and peeked through to see that Draco was standing in front of the room with his dad and a blonde girl, who I guessed was Astoria. “This fortuitous occurrence has granted us with a grand opportunity, so we took up on it as soon as we saw it. The Malfoys and Greengrasses are going to combine their families. Draco and Astoria are going to be married this summer. This match is sure to bring pleasure to all.”

I was pretty sure that my heart had stopped beating and my breathing had stopped before the tears came trickling down my face. There would be no head-turning or applauding for our love because everyone was celebrating his new match. I closed the door on the party and headed for the exit. I couldn’t be there. I wasn’t even welcome there.