Chapter 9

“What is it, Flint? I’m rather busy,” Draco spat at me with a bored voice. He didn’t even look at me.

“It’s about this stupid note, Malfoy,” I spat back, trying to keep up with him. His long legs were carrying him faster than my shorter ones could carry me. I mean seriously, why couldn’t I be at least four inches taller? I was just a measly five foot seven, while Draco was most likely six foot. “Slow down!” I cried, tugging on his shirt sleeve.

He stopped and turned towards me. “What, Flint?”

I took a second to catch my breath. “This,” I breathed, holding up the note in his face.

“What about it?” he asked, not breaking eye contact to look at it.

“What in the bloody hell did you mean by it?” I asked, feeling the warmth on my cheeks, but so not wanting to break the eye contact.

“I meant exactly what I wrote. Jeez, Flint, what more of an explanation do you need?”

“Are you really with Pansy?” I asked, not meaning that to be the first question out of my mouth.

He looked away. “Why? You jealous?”

I rolled my eyes. “Of course not, Malfoy. I just can’t understand why you would even write this in the first place. We have nothing going on. Besides, I didn’t care whether you kept that stupid picture or not. Why would I need to know that you were leading me on? Yeah, I was surprised by your actions in the library, but they didn’t mean anything to me,” I took in a breath so my voice wouldn’t waver as I kept on lying. “I also don’t care if you’re dating Parkinson. She’s just a whore anyway, which is most likely the reason why you’re dating her in the first place.”

“What does that mean?” Draco jerked his head back to me, but didn’t close the distance between us as he did before.

I shrugged. “You’re about as deep as a puddle, Malfoy,” I turned and started walking away. “I don’t that won’t ever change.”

“Flint!” he called, but it didn’t stop me. “I’m not going out with Pansy! Alright?”

I smirked before turning back to him, and he closed the distance that I had put between us. “Why did you lie?” I asked as our eyes locked once again.

He shrugged and looked down, but I reached out and moved his face back to face me with my hand. “I guess I just thought I owed you an explanation, okay? I just added that I was dating her because I didn’t want you to come after me.”

“Come after you? Do you not know me at all?” I smirked once more and removed my hand. “We did grow up together after all.”

“No, I don’t know you, Court. You’ve changed quite a bit since we’ve been friends,” he then broke into a smile. “You’ve changed for the better,” he said gently as he took his fingers and moved a piece of hair behind my ear. “I’ve changed a lot since then as well, you know.”

I nodded. “Yes, but the true you is still in there, somewhere deep inside,” I smiled and tapped his chest. “I know the real you, and the real you would never like Pansy. Not for a second.”

“God knows that’s the truth,” he said as his hand finally moved away from my face. “Well, I’ve got to go. See you around.”

“Yeah,” I nodded, watching him walk away. “See you.”

I then turned and ran up to the astronomy tower, where I was supposed to be. I was late for Divination because I had to talk to him. I was glad that I had chosen to talk to him though. It brought out the Draco that I had grew up with, even if it was only for just a few minutes. It was worth it.