CHAPTER THREE: Memories, Sleeplessness, and Touring

CHAPTER THREE: MEMORIES, SLEEPLESSNESS, AND TOURING

At around 5:30, everyone was ready to go; we went in two vans to the studio to meet up with the tour managers and Simon for last minute instructions. Louis, Harry, and Zayn went in one van while Niall, Liam, Kristie, and I went in another. The entire car ride was silent as Niall wanted to experience silence like Kristie. Kristie and I texted back and forth, catching up on each other’s lives. She finally told me the long story of how she got here and met Niall. (A/N: Again, if this part is confusing, please go read Kristie’s story “Be Your Burden” by bakerscoyne, since it will explain more. Thanks!) I was happy for her. She deserved someone like Niall. Niall was perfect for her: sweet and caring with an enormous love for food. I looked up from my phone and saw Kristie leaning on Niall’s shoulder, smiling down at the picture I had just sent her. She glanced up when she noticed I haven’t replied and raised her eyebrow at me, silently questioning. I just shook my head, sighing softly, and feeling Liam’s and Kristie’s eyes on me as I leaned my head against the window. I stared at the passing buildings, the old familiar ache in my heart as I thought of him. Will. I mentally shook myself. Don’t, I told myself sternly, but it didn’t stop the pain. Come on, you left America to forget about him. To start anew, I reminded myself. I swallowed the lump in my throat as the car pulled up next to the other car. We had arrived. Liam opened the door for us as we left the car. I was the last to leave and as I passed Liam, a whiff of his spicy cologne filled my nose; it was a scent that got my heart racing. As Liam helped me down from the van, even though it wasn’t necessary but nice of him, he whispered “You okay?” He forced me to look into his chocolate eyes, warm and sincere. My heart gave a violent thump.

“I’m fine,” I said a little too quickly, blushing. His eyebrows furrowed just a bit in the middle of his forehead, and I knew that he knew that I was lying. I tried to hurry away, to save me further embarrassment, when he gently grabbed my wrist.

“If you need anything, I’m here,” he murmured softly. I nodded and walked away. I went to seek solace from Kristie, who was off to the side, talking to someone on the phone. It was about 6:45 in the evening, so I assumed she was talking to Celeste and Olive.

She smacked my arm hard as I reached her and hung up her phone. “What was that for?” I said, rubbing my arm.

“Why didn’t you take your chance?” she asked. “Why did you walk away from him?”

“What are you talking about?” I asked, confused.

“Haven’t you noticed the signs? Liam likes you,” she emphasized the word “like.” “I thought you would be over the moon by now; you’ve liked Liam for forever, remember?”

I shook my head, “Don’t be silly. Liam doesn’t like me.”

Kristie rolled her eyes, “Silly? I’ve been watching you guys closely for the past hour. Liam likes you, but you’ve been distancing yourself. Not only from him but me as well,” her face fell, “Are you ok?” she asked me, concerned.

“I’m fine.”

I was rewarded with another smack as Kristie glared at me, “Don’t give me that crap. I’m your best friend, remember? I can see right through you. Now, are you gonna tell me what’s wrong or am I going to have to force it out of you?” her voice softened. I pretended to be very interested in the rough surface of the concrete. “Elaina,” Kristie said gently. “Tell m-“

“Will broke up with me,” I cut her off with a broken whisper. “I told him, I got the swimming scholarship and he was getting ready to move here to attend Cambridge since he got a doctorial scholarship; but he then he decided to stay at Columbia because he feels he can’t leave his friends. And he just broke up with me. He picked his friends over me. He didn’t even try to fight for us; he just tossed five years away. The day after he broke up with me, he was out seen with another girl. His friends told me she was his girlfriend. I had to find out from his friends that he has a girlfriend! He wouldn’t even have the guts to me himself!” I blubbered out in a rush. I felt dazed and lightheaded.