CHAPTER FOUR: After Concert Conversations

CHAPTER FOUR: AFTER CONCERT CONVERSATIONS

Throughout the night, I had tossed and turned due to my jetlag and now I was paying for it dearly. I stumbled into the kitchen area of the bus in search of some caffeine-fueled beverage. “Is there any coffee?” I mumbled sleepily, refusing Louis’ offer of tea. Four English lads chuckled gently. Niall was too busy shoveling food into his mouth to come up with a reply.

“What is it with Americans and coffee?” Zayn piped up.

“What is it with British people and tea?” I retorted. I was met with Louis’ awestruck face and four shocked gazes. Kristie laughed.

“Sorry boys, Elaina’s just a bit cranky in the mornings,” she explained, smirking.

I glared at her, “I am not cranky!” I protested. “This time difference is getting to me,” I sighed, rubbing my eyes wearily, as I popped in a K cup into the Keurig machine.

They immediately looked sympathetic, “Did you sleep at all last night?” Louis asked.

“A little,” I admitted. Liam met my eyes and I looked away, blushing. This didn't go unnoticed by Kristie, whose eyes opened wide, silently asking me. I paid very close attention to the coffee machine, blushing profusely. I then prepared my coffee and downed the mug. Kristie stared at me. “What?” I asked, stretching.

“I’m just waiting for hyper Elaina to show up,” she said. “I mean, from what I remembered, that much caffeine,” she pointed at my mug, “would have you bouncing off the walls. Why aren’t you bouncing off the walls?” she asked me accusingly.

I laughed, “College life, sweetie, and 4:30 morning practices,” I explained, shrugging lightly, “You should see the amount of Redbull I go through every month.”

Her eyes widened even more “You can stand Redbull now?” I nodded, helping myself to a waffle. “Oh geez,” she muttered and she burst out laughing. We all looked at her like she was crazy.

“What?” I demanded.

“I was just thinking… If you can stand Redbull now, I wonder how much chocolate is now needed to get you hyper,” Kristie grinned. I rolled my eyes.

“I assure you, dear, the amount remains the same,” I winked. When we had finished breakfast on the bus, we met up with Paul, who gave us our rooms and what we can do for the day. Niall and Kristie were in a room. Zayn, Harry, and Louis were rooming together in the big suite. This left Liam and me. The two of us were silent as we walked up to our room.

“Here we are,” Liam announced as he opened the door with a flourish, “Home sweet home for the next two nights,” he sang. I giggled. “Alright, the lady gets first pick,” he gestured toward the two queen beds.

I shrugged, “I don’t care.”

“I insist,” Liam said in an overly dramatic accent. I laughed.

“Well if the gentleman insists,” I joked, copying his accent. My smile suddenly faded. “I pick this one,” I murmured, plopping my bags on the bed closest to the wall of glass windows. I sat down on the bed, staring at the tiny crowd of people cheering below. Liam didn’t say anything as he set his bags quietly on his bed.

“You know,” he said, “I’m so relieved that you chose the bed closest to the windows,” he heaved a dramatic sigh, “I was always afraid that some crazy fan would skydive or rappel down the side of the building and enter my room. At least I can get away faster when my bed is closest to the door,” his face completely serious as he pointed at the door. That drew out a small laugh from me. He smiled at me. “So seems like you got the worse end of the deal,” he shrugged lightly, “I can make a quick getaway.” I didn’t respond. “If you’re scared, don’t worry, Liam will come to your rescue,” he grinned at me. “I promise I won’t make a quick getaway and leave you behind,” he offered.  I smiled ruefully. “Alright so, what shall we do today?” he asked me in the dramatic accent. I shrugged and was about to reply when the door threw open.