gerald

Mikey Way sat on the couch in his living room, as his mom and him waited for his brother Gerard. He was taking a particularly long time getting for a party he didn't even want to go to, he thought. Mikey dramatically sighed and rolled his eyes.

"Gerard, what are you doing taking so fucking long for?" His mom scowled at his choice of words as Gerard came down the stairs.

****

Gerard followed his mother around as she went talking to different friends, not knowing a single person or recognizing anyone that didn't look middle aged. Soft, boring music played in the background and Gerard looked around, not leaving his spot. Mikey was talking and stealing food with the hostess's son Pete, and Gerard was not in the mood to tag along with his little brother's friends.

Just as he was staring into space, the woman speaking to his mother motioned her hand to someone he couldn't see. Whatever. "Gee? Gerard." His mother whisper-yelled at him.

Gerard's head snapped up and he noticed a bored looking teenager. "Gee, this is Ms. Iero. She has a son your age. Did you know he plays the guitar?" He looked up to smiling boy with the red and black striped sweater, with a nose and lip ring.

And fuck if that goddamn lip ring was hot.

Gerard forcefully smiled and shook hands with the boy, feeling the rough pads of his fingertips. "Hi, uh- I'm Frank." Gerard froze, his cheeks heating up as he basically whispered his name to the really really hot boy, a shy smile on his face.

"It's nice to meet you, Gerald."

****

As Gerard and Mikey were being driven home, their mother decided to turn the radio off and talk to her sons.

"Micheal, you didn't meet my friend Linda's son Frank, right?" She said, trying to break the ice their awkwardness her sons had both created.

Gerard was giving dirty looks out the window because the hot boy thought his name was Gerald, and he didn't have the heart to correct him. Mikey was quiet because he was forced to leave. "No, mom I was with my friend Pete."

"I guess I'll have to invite Linda and her son over again some time. Gerard already likes Frank. He goes to your school too. Did you know that Geebear?" Donna Way desperately tried to engage her angsty teenage sons in light conversation, but realized she had failed when she heard Gerard retort back.

"Just because you know his mom, doesn't mean I have to be friends with him, Donna. I have my own friends you know." He snapped.

His mother was quite shocked, but then realized her sons almost never became angry at her, and Gerard didn't exactly want to go to that party.

"I'm just trying to help you. Gerard, you only hang out with that Ray. I thought you would like her son!"

****

At school, Gerard barely noticed anyone. He pretty much only talked to Ray and Mikey, but they both had actual friends and Ray would sometimes go sit somewhere other than the cafeteria for lunch. Mikey had Earth Club on Mondays.

So, Gerard sat with his Apple, drinking his large can of iced tea on Monday at his table alone. He was perfectly content in his own world humming Saturday Night by the misfits, when he saw an approaching figure set down a tray of food in his peripheral vision.