adjacent

if there are any mistakes in this I apologize I have a french exam tomorrow pray 4 me

~

It was way fucking early in the morning on a Tuesday when I heard it again. The sound of my neighbor singing in his shower.

I'd already met him, as he moved in a few months before. Wed see each other in the stairs or to get mail sometimes, but that'd be the extent of our relationship. I hadn't really payed him much attention until a few days prior.

You could say my apartment wasn't exactly a palace, but it was fine. The only pet peeves I first had moving in was the fact that the walls were so thin it was like they weren't even there.

Of course, it wasn't a huge problem for me because I was just an introverted person.

But, Gerard wasn't.

I could sometimes hear him playing music, at least it was good from what I could hear.

Also, he'd sing. Not just in the shower, (when I was listening) but just him in his apartment- I don't think he had a roomate.

But seriously fuck his stupid adorable voice. It made me feel so weird that I listened to him sing in the shower, but his voice was so cute. It was literally like the highlight of my day.

I tried to make out the words he sang, recognizing it as a song I was almost positive I'd heard, but it wasn't clear enough.

He continued most of the lyrics to the song, I think. The actual noise of the shower muffled it. God I'm such a creeper.

He had almost finished the song when I realized I had an actual job I should leave my apartment for. Well, I could stalk my cute neighbor with good music taste tomorrow morning. Maybe if I played sonic youth really loudly he would hear it. I wonder if he likes sonic youth.

****

The next morning, I may have purposely woken up a little early. I checked the clock. 8:04. He should be up soon.

I drank my black coffee and stayed quiet, listening for any indication that he's in the shower.

Then I recognized he was singing Under Pressure by David Bowie. My heart nearly stopped.

And I thought, how funny would it be if I sang along? would he notice? Oh god. that'd be amazing.

Just when Gerard got to the part where Freddie Mercury sings "why can't we give love, give love" like literally a billion times, I chimed in.

I got close to the wall that I guess he's on the opposite side of and sing the next lyrics in an overly enthusiastic tone.

"'Cause love's such an old-fashioned word and love dares you to care for the people on the edge of the night and love dares you to change our way of caring about ourselves
This is our last-"

My beautiful singing voice was cut off when I stopped hearing the shower running. Either he had heard me and was creeped the fuck out or just like, got out of his shower. I guessed it was time for me to get ready for work if he was too.

****

I completely forgot about singing along with my neighbor literally naked in the shower until after I got home, and was checking my mail before going up.

I sifted through credit card bills and car payments until I heard footsteps, which was typical for a building. I couldn't help but imagine if it was Gerard coming to scold me about how grossed out he was that I listened to him sing in the shower. That would be bad.