24. Thirty Seconds

(Cassie/Harry edit in the sidebar!)

Cassie’s POV:

Harry trailed silently behind me, a bag packed full of the abstract items that had drifted over to his flat during the past month in hand, as we made out way up to my student flat. Neither of us had said a word on the entire drive over and I still wasn’t sure I’d be able to start talking without breaking down all over again. 

How was I supposed to explain what was going on if I could barely understand it myself? 

Silently cursing myself for even bringing him into this mess in the first place, I ducked my head, staring decidedly at the ground as I trudged up the two flights of stairs. I couldn’t help but hope that if I ignored him long enough he would disappear and I wouldn’t have to go through with this. Maybe then I’d be able to continue pretending just a little while longer.

“Cassie, stop we need to talk,” Harry sighed. There was the distinct thump of the bag hitting the ground and I winced hoping that I hadn’t packed anything breakable in there... it was hard to remember what I’d shoved in before we’d left.

 I knew without even looking at him that his gorgeous face would be screwed, his brow furrowed and his hands raking through perfectly messy curls. I knew that if I looked at him I would change my mind and Adrien would win.

“There’s nothing to talk about.” But there was. I wanted to tell him everything. I wanted to make him understand why I was making this decision, no matter how much it hurt.

“Look at me, Cassie,” he demanded, stepping forward, invading my personal space. My body reacted and immediately I wanted to be closer to him. I wanted to feel his arms around me and listen to the sound of his heart thrumming in his chest. I wanted the security that only he provided for me anymore, but that security was no longer a luxury I could afford. 

Locking down my emotions, I continued to stare at the ground, fishing around in my pockets for my keys. He tried to catch my chin and force me to look at him but I jerked away, hating the feeling of the fire that his smallest touch sent racing through my nervous system.

“Why are you being so damn stubborn?” I ignored him, turning my key in the deadbolt with shaking hands.

“Thank you for bringing me home. I think it would be best if you left now,” I whispered, staring at the wall behind him. It was taking all of my will power to keep the tears at bay.

“Wait. What? No, Cassie. I’m not just going to leave you here! Not after what happened yesterday!”

“Yes! Yes you are!” I cried out, yanking furiously on my hair, the first few tears springing free.

“What if he comes here? What if he hurts you? He can hurt you Cassie. He can hurt you because you refuse to do anything to keep him away.”

“Don’t you think I know that, Harry? That fucking terrifies me but there’s nothing I can do. He always finds me!”

“Please, let me call the police. We can talk to them together. They will find him and keep him from hurting you ever again. They can put him away,” he pleaded, following me into the flat. I could hear the hysteria in both of our voices. We were both over tired and over emotional. We shouldn’t be having this conversation now but it was already happening and there was no way around it.

“Please help me keep you safe.”

“You don’t get it do you?” I laughed, the sobs choking and distorting my words, “There’s nothing you can do. Nothing. You have no idea what you’re doing, what you’re getting into.”