33 | holiday

AUNT KATE IS HEARTBROKEN THAT her present didn't arrive in the mail today — Christmas Day. But her gift is the same every year. A critically-acclaimed novel that she thinks I'll enjoy, and a sweater or scarf. I'm sure I can wait a little longer.

This will be our first Christmas as a three-person unit. Normally, my Aunt Kate hosts us because her family is bigger, harder to assemble, and her house is larger and wears festivity more beautifully.

She, being my father's sister, was our main support network after he died. I remember living with her for a short period after what must have been his death, and how warm and doting she was, even while she was grieving her own sibling. On top of looking after Vallen, Jamie and Jake — my cousins — Aunt Kate tried very hard to help us; that is, Luke and I. I think she relented slightly when she accepted that the vibrancy death takes with it never finds its way back.

First thing in the morning, we Skype Aunt Kate's family: the Tanners.

Jake and Jamie, the twins, are the first to pop into the screen, identical boys the same age as me. They are the typical childhood tormentors that eventually mature and become quite dear. However, though they are more agreeable with me, they've only gotten louder and more argumentative with each other. They tell me about their older brother, Vallen, and his upcoming wedding anniversary and recent promotion at work, their football season and their disappointment that Luke still plays soccer instead.

Then the conversation blooms between Mom and Aunt Kate, with the children sneaking off to the side to play on their phones. Her laugh lines and warm brown hair are such a lovely sight that I can't stop smiling as we talk. She asks me about my future plans, and I fumble awkwardly through those questions because I really have no idea what will happen after winter break with the Revolution, let alone after high school.

"No worries, dear," Aunt Kate soothes. "Whatever you end up doing, I have complete faith that you will be fine."

After signing off and opening the few presents under our tree, there's really nothing to do until dinnertime. I wander into the kitchen, intent on helping Mom with her preparations. She won't have any of it however, levelling a stern look at me, then at Luke in the living room — playing his new video games. "Why don't you guys spend some quality time together?"

"Ew," I roll my eyes. "Christmas is the season of joy, Mom. Not misery. Luke is pretty content staring at the TV, anyways."

Luke pauses his game to retort, "Sophie sucks the joy out of everything." I subtly flip him off from behind the pages of my book, so Mom won't see.

"It's Christmas. Besides, you should spend more time together. He's your brother."

"So?" I arch my eyebrow. "That's never stopped me from avoiding him before."

"I mean," she stresses the next words, "he's your only brother, and your time is limited. You're young, and you think you have all the time in the world. But you don't."

"You spend time with him, Mom. I bet you won't be in the same room as him ever again."

Mom takes off her reading glasses, "Remember when Luke was born?"

I sigh. Roll my eyes. Flinch internally. That was a hard time for us.

Dad had died a few months earlier and I was starting school. Mom would have had to leave her job to take care of Luke if we hadn't moved in with Aunt Kate. But I loved my baby brother. Once the weird pink tinge to his face wore off, I fell in love with his big eyes and chubby cheeks.

As a baby, Luke was so calm and timid. He would cry at daycare because of his shyness, but be perfectly happy around family. Watching him learn to walk was adorable, and I fell into the role of big sister very easily.