21 | homecoming

FRIDAY IS CARSONVILLE'S HOMECOMING FAIR, the last day of Spirit Week.

Classes were cancelled for all seniors so that they could set up the food stands, games and fundraising activities on the campus green. Each stall at the Homecoming Fair is run by either a school club, sports team, teaching faculty, or some member of the public that volunteered.

For example; the Mathletes have a stall where people guess the number of jellybeans in a jar; I think the basketball team is the one running the mini putt-putt course; the Arts department teachers have set up a face-painting stall. The only group that won't be involved in setting up or running the Fair is the boys football team, since they're going to start warming up for the Homecoming game tonight as soon as school ends.

I spend the whole day, six hours, in the library. Even though I didn't go to my usual periods, I did revision for my classes and typed up an essay for AP English. After three-thirty, I was kicked out of the library and bunkered down on a picnic table on the green to wait for Mom and Luke to arrive. Now that they're on their way, I pack up my things and weave through the growing crowd, excited to finally get amongst the fairground.

On the green and around the football field, there's lots of activity going on. Decorations like bunting, banners and colourful signage have transformed the school. Balloons are starting to rise above the heads of the student body as everyone flocks to the Fair, and a majority of people have dressed in our school colours — blue and gold.

I haven't seen any of my friends yet today. Drew thought that coming to school when classes were cancelled would be useless, so he's only arriving at the Homecoming Fair with his mom and sister after dinner. Benjamin and Delaney, as Presidents of their respective clubs, have since morning been setting up stalls and managing their club underclassmen. Leah went to watch the marching band's full-day practice in preparation for the Homecoming game.

The coolness of the evening breeze is sweeping across my bare arms, settling over the heat from today. Stray blurs of gold linger in the sky, merging with mauve. Sunset over the town is only a beginning for the Homecoming Fair.

By the entrance of the school, Drew and Sasha emerge from a car to join the party. Drew's mother waves goodbye to them before leaving to find parking. Parking at school has long since been snatched up, so it's a good thing Mom has a tendency to over-prepare and arrive early to everything.

With the number of people around, it feels like a literal party. Benjamin, Leah and her family, Delaney and her family — her sisters look uncannily similar to her — Luke and Mom are all conversing under a young hickory tree.

Mothers have toddlers sat snugly on their hips; teenagers are posing for pictures under the welcoming banner strung across the poles on either side of the main gate; it feels like the whole town turned up. And when there's so many people around, the air starts smelling of sweat and the food being carried around.

Still, the effort the school has put in to transform the field into a fairground is kind of magical. A sweeping glance of my surroundings puts a big smile on my face; the streets upon streets of temporary food and game stalls, through which hundreds of people are walking.

I find the energy here contagious, and knowing all profits will be donated to charity warms me up even more. There's delicious food to be smelt and tasted, glowing souvenirs and blinking lights to be seen. Laughter rings in my ears, the entire atmosphere is indulging all of my senses.

Mrs. Morrison, fresh from a political conversation with my mom, regards Delaney with a cautious look, before patting her shoulders. "I saw some great stalls selling antique china, so we're going to go check it out. You guys better not do anything stupid. Delaney, I'm talking to you. No tricking people, no taking money, no—"