Chapter 9

I woke up to see Jack still holding me. "Good morning, Myth."

I slowly sat up, Jack's arms releasing me. I rubbed my eyes and stood up, stretching my arms. I then winced and grabbed my shoulder.

I heard Jack behind me. "You okay?"

He stood beside me, reaching toward my shoulder. I quickly slapped his hand away. "Don't touch it. You're the cause of this, remember? You just had to bite me."

I heard him sigh. "I know. I really am sorry about that."

I huffed. "Yeah, well, just don't ever do it again or I'll be tempted to bite back next time."

I grabbed some clean clothes and headed to the bathroom. I got dressed and came out in a normal shirt and jeans. I rolled up my sleeve to look at the bite marks.

Jack came over and pulled my sleeve back down. "Keep your shoulder covered."

"Why?"

"Well, I just figured you wouldn't want it to draw attention."

I sighed. "Good point."

"C'mon, let's go down for breakfast."

I groaned slightly. "Do we have to?"

He nodded. "Yes. I'm not letting you stay up here forever."

He took my arm and pulled me with him out of the room and downstairs. We walked past the living room and into the kitchen.
I was immediately met by all the faces of the other residents here. Slenderman was cooking while everyone sat at the table. Jack pulled me over and sat me down between him and Jeff.

Jeff's grin seemed to widen. "Well look who decided to join us this morning."

I simply glared at him as he scooted closer. "What's the matter? Don't have anything to say?"

I noticed Jack peer around me. "Don't start it, Jeff."

Jeff backed away slightly and held his hands up defensively. "Chill out, Jack. I'm just trying to chat with our new member."

I noticed Masky and Hoodie whispering to each other. Ben smirked. "Aww, look at that. Jack's protecting his girl. How cute."

The others seemed to snicker while Jack yelled, "Shut up, Ben!"

I noticed Smile had come up next to me and began sniffing my leg. I practically ignored everything until our breakfast was ready.

Slender placed a plate of kidneys in front of Jack and me while the others ate their normal food. Jack lifted his mask up above his mouth and started eating while I did the same.

After breakfast, Jack took me to the living room with the others. I was sitting at one end of the couch with Jack right beside me. Ben stood in front of me with a grin.

"Hey, Myth. Play any video games?"

I stared up at him blankly. "I'm really more of a book reader."

He frowned and slumped over in disappointment before sitting on the floor in front of the TV, turning on a game. Masky was the next to talk to me.

"So, anything you'd like to talk about, Myth?"

"Not really."

Jeff then interrupted. "Oh c'mon! How are we supposed to get to know you if you don't want to talk?!"

I simply replied, "Don't know, don't care."

Jack suddenly stood up and pulled me by the arm. "Excuse us."

He pulled me up to his room, shutting the door behind us. He looked at me as I crossed my arms.

"Myth, you need to quit with the attitude. You're supposed to get along with the others, not pick fights with them."

I scoffed. "Well excuse me, but I never wanted to be here in the first place."

He sighed. "Let's just talk. We have a lot in common."

With my head turned away, I quietly answered. "Don't you think I know that?"

"What?"

I looked back at him to see his head tilted slightly as he stared at me. I repeated, "I said, don't you think I know that?"

It was quiet for a moment as I let out a sigh. "Why did you come talk to me anyway?"

"Huh?"

"When I was chained up. I couldn't talk back, but you always came to talk to me. Why?"

He nervously scratched the back of his neck. "W-Well, because I figured you were lonely. Even as a dragon, you still had feelings too, just like anyone else."

I rose an eyebrow at him. "Then why are you so nice to me? All I do is push you away, and still you treat me like a best friend."

He approached me, stopping in front of me. "Because there's more to you than meets the eye. I know you have a softer side deep down, and I want to be the one to bring that side of you out."

I looked up at him in surprise. I didn't know what to say. I was genuinely shocked by his answer. Maybe Jack really does understand me.

He suddenly held a key up in front of me. I blinked at it a few times. "What's that?"

"The key to your collar. I can free you as long as you don't attack us or run away."

I stared at the key before finally answering. "I can't promise that."

He tucked the key into his pocket. "Then I can't free you yet. But I believe in you. You'll come around sooner or later, I know it."

I could tell he was smiling as he spoke. I gave a small smile and hugged him. "Thank you."

When I pulled away, I said, "I'll try from now on to be...nicer."

Jack held his hand out to me. "Why don't we go back downstairs with the others?"

I smiled and slowly nodded. "Sure."

I took his hand and went back downstairs with him. I've never met anyone who was so much like me. And I've never met anyone who wanted to know me for me. Maybe Jack really is different.