Chapter 14

Jack's pov

I sadly walked through the woods away from that lake. I'm not going back to the mansion, not yet. I'll only get in trouble for letting Myth get away.

After everything that's happened too. We were...together. I marked her, I kissed her, I confessed to her, and yet, she still left when she got the chance.

I trusted her, I believed that she actually cared about me. I guess I was wrong. I guess freeing her was a bad idea.

I thought it would help. That she could satisfy her need to hunt and then we could go back to the way things were. I guess my mistake just cost me the one person I really cared about.

I sighed to myself, kicking a few rocks as I walked. Ugh, I'm such an idiot! I stopped in my tracks upon hearing rustling followed by large footsteps.

"Myth?"

I was disappointed when the Strider emerged from between the trees. Its eyes gazed down at me as it growled. Just when I thought things couldn't get worse.

I turned and ran as fast as I could. I looked back to see the Strider chasing after me, quickly catching up. Damnit, now what do I do?! I sure wish Myth was here.

Myth's pov

Swimming around in my sea serpent form, I could feel the cool water all around me. Is this really what I want? To be all alone again?

Thinking back on my stay with Jack and the others, I started to realize something. I had a home. A place where I fit in. I had friends that treated me like family.

And I had...Jack. The one person who completely understood me and did everything he could to make me feel like a member of the household.

How could I be so stupid? I had it all, and I simply left it all behind. I swam up to the surface, poking my head above the water.

Looking around, Jack was nowhere to be seen. He must've left. I have to find him and tell him I'm sorry. I swam over to the shore, crawling onto the grass and shaking the water from my head.

My eyes suddenly widened as a strange feeling overtook me. I sense something. Like someone needs me. Oh no, Jack.

I began changing to my dragon form as I ran, my instincts telling me where to go as I leave the lake behind. Soon enough, I could see something in the distance.

It was Jack, running from that large dog thing that I fought before. The strange creature was quickly catching up to him as I ran full speed toward them.

I noticed Jack ended up tripping and falling. He landed on the ground, quickly turning as the dog thing stopped in front of him.

As I got closer, a protective feeling overtook me as the monster raised its front legs, ready to stamp them down on Jack.

I quickly rushed forward, leaping over a large log and landing right over Jack. I pushed the creature back with the top of my head. I growled, showing my large teeth as the beast stumbled back after I shoved it.

I stopped for a moment, lowering my head to look at Jack sitting between my feet. He stared up at me as I blinked at him. Good, he's okay.

I turned back to the dog thing as it growled. I snarled and snapped my jaws as I stepped over Jack. This creature seems more determined this time, but I'll still show it who's on top around here.

I spread my wings out and roared at the beast. It continued growling at me as it slowly came closer. It raised its front legs again, ready to strike me.

As it began to bring its legs down, I caught them in my clawed hands. The creature looked surprised until I bit a chunk of flesh from its shoulder.

It roared in pain and struggled to push me away. I kept my hold on it and managed to shove its back into a tree. It let out a whimper as it collapsed.

I stamped my wings against the ground and roared as the dog creature stumbled to get up an run away, leaving a bloody trail behind it. I huffed at the beast's retreating figure before turning around toward Jack.

I changed back to normal as he spoke. "Myth, you came back. And you saved me."

I could hear the joy in his voice. I stood a small distance away from him. "I have something to say."

Jack stayed quiet, waiting for me to speak. I sighed, crossing my arms and averting my gaze. "I...I'm sorry I ran away."

"Myth."

I noticed Jack coming closer as I continued. "I never realized how happy I was with you. You gave me a place where I belong, and I'm very grateful to you for everything you've done for me."

Jack had stopped in front of me, watching me as I nervously turned my head away and confessed everything. "I've never met anyone...like you...you always understand me...and I...I..."

I was surprised when Jack wrapped his arms around me in a hug. He quietly said, "I know."

I returned his hug and buried my face in his shoulder, his scent of blood captivating me. "I...I love you, Jack."

"And I love you, Myth."

When he pulled away, he lifted his mask and kissed my lips. I eagerly returned his kiss, the familiar taste of blood causing me to smile slightly against his lips.

When we pulled apart, Jack grinned at me. "What's that smile for, Myth?"

I let out a small laugh and trailed my finger across his chest. "Nothing, it's just the way you always taste like blood. It's so appetizing."

He chuckled. "But you just ate."

"I know, but still, you taste so good."

I quickly kissed his lips again before pulling away. I turned and started walking away.

"Where are you going?"

I stopped and looked back at Jack with a small smile. "Home."