The Beginning

I was born Morgana, daughter of Gorlois Duke of Cornwall and Lady Igraine. I was born into a time of great war. My mother, a tall and slender woman, despite several children had caught the eye of the King. He pursued her relentlessly. For two years my mother rebuffed his advances. She was a faithful wife to my father. I believe that she deeply loved my father Gorlois, and that their children were born of love. I was too young to remember my father in great detail. My mother said that he was a great man, and that he loved me dearly. She would tell stories in quiet whispers about how he would bring wild flowers from the field into my room and hang them from my crib. I was named after my father's mother. The name Morgana means dweller of the sea, and my father said that he could see my grandmother in me, and the sea in my eyes. I close my eyes now and can almost see him lifting me into his arms. I can imagine the life I would have had with my father. I can imagine having a father, instead of the hateful man who murdered him.

So follows the account of the life and death of my father Gorlois, Duke of Cornwall and Lady Igraine. My grandmother Lady Morgan spent long hours secretly writing out the story of her son's life and death after being reunited with her daughter in-law, years after her marriage to the King. In the darkest hours of the night, my mother, Queen Igraine told her story in quiet whispers.

The King, Uther Pendragon had first seen Igraine at her wedding to Gorlois. Apparently she had done nothing to impress the King, being little more than a child rushed into marriage at the young age of thirteen. Gorlois was a man in his prime, twelve years her senior. For several years after their marriage, Gorlois fought wars for the King, leaving Igraine for months at a time and adding to his already immense fortune. After three years they still hardly knew each other from the day they married. One day, on his return from a six month long raid, Gorlois realized that his young wife had turned into a beautiful young woman. Dismounting from his horse, he accepted a cup of ale from Igraine, and noticed for the first time her slim figure, and long strawberry blonde hair. As he stared at her over the cup, a blush crept up into her cheeks, causing Gorlois to smile and offer her his arm. This was the beginning of their life together. Although Gorlois never refused to go on campaigns with the King, he began to spend more time at home, with Igraine. Their love produced three daughters, Elaine, Morgause and, Morgana. It was only a matter of time before Gorlois brought Igraine to the court of King Uther. Igraine was eighteen at that time, and had just given birth to her second daughter Morgause. From those at court that day, Igraine was said to be the most beautiful. She had not yet lost all the weight from pregnancy and was beautifully rounded and ruddy cheeked. She was proudly escorted to the throne by Gorlois and curtsied demurely in front of the king. From the moment she looked up at the King beneath hooded blue eyes, he was enamoured of her. Unfortunately Gorlois' love of the King blinded him to the King's true intentions. From that day forward King Uther pursued her relentlessly. The King persuaded Gorlois to bring his wife and two daughters to court, making Igraine that much easier to pursue. He began sending Gorlois farther away and for longer periods, allowing him to press Igraine without Gorlois' presence to shield her from his advances.

The King sent Igraine gifts of beautiful material for dresses, ermine cloaks and beautiful jewels. He sent her letters professing his desires. All of which she sent back to him, gifts and letters unopened. Fearing that Gorlois would believe that she had done something to draw the Kings interest, she did not mention the King's attentions. Although Gorlois loved Igraine, he was still a hardened warrior, and loyal to the King.  

Igraine begged Gorlois to be allowed to take her two daughters back to the manor in the countryside, but the King insisted that it was safer to keep Gorlois' family in the castle, where they could be protected. Igraine began spending long hours in the company of her women, using the group as protection against the King's advances. Igraine would lock herself in her rooms, demanding that her servants sleep in her room to ensure that no one would be able to slip in unnoticed. She drew strange symbols on the doors to her rooms and chambers, and whispered secret words as if weaving magic spells to keep Uther away. She lost weight, and deep circles began to appear under her eyes, and still the King pursued her. When Gorlois returned from one of the King's campaigns, Igraine threw herself into his arms and wept in relief. She begged anew to be allowed to leave court and return to their home in the country.